EFA 2 and 3

General eFa discussion
bbrendon

EFA 2 and 3

Post by bbrendon »

So I'm not sure why people gave up on Baruwa. I understand installing it harder, but that's what EFA is for. Going back to to mailwatch is not desirable to me... Its just too crappy. The interface is ridden with obvious bugs, security holes, etc and there is no one maintaining. Going back to the ESVA way is more of a step backwards in my opinion.

I honestly prefer Postfix/Debian, but if EFA/Baruwa ran on EXIM/CentOS, it wouldn't be the end of the world to me.

Anyway... I don't plan on installing EFA3/Mailwatch. I'd rather move forward with something better...
darky83
Site Admin

Re: EFA 2 and 3

Post by darky83 »

Well EFA 2.x is pretty far along, I might pick that up at a later date but for now I will try to focus on EFA 3 based on the previous esva.

The thing is that I have had hundreds of requests for an more simple system, Baruwa is great and yes I also like it but the backed/setup is just to complicated. Combined with all the major changes that Baruwa went trough (abandoning version 1.x for example) makes it a bit of an unreliable project to depend on, and as my time is also limited it is hard to keep track of all updates and incorporate them in an appliance.

I guess that is also the reason why so many people request an system that looked like esva but updated to more recent packages, one system that you can deploy and just works.

of-course if someone has the time and know-how working on 2.x is still possible if someone wants to put in allot of his/her's time.
Version eFa 4.x now available!
shawniverson

Post by shawniverson »

bbrendon wrote: The interface is ridden with obvious bugs, security holes, etc and there is no one maintaining.
Actually, endelwar on github has picked up development of MailWatch. He and others have many updates and features planned (and already implemented)

As for the bugs and security holes, please feel free to share. We will fix any that may be present in the code in advance of any official MailWatch releases.
markshaz

Post by markshaz »

Hi All,

Baruwa 2 is a very complicated setup but it is doable, and much better looking than mail watch. I'm happy to setup a Baruwa 2 image (vmware or openvz) if Darky, doesn't mind me borrowing the efa logo for it, it can then be tested to see if it works okay, and we can all test it for bugs. http://www.baruwa-install.com already has a script, but I think it has a few issues on install anyway, (it did last time I checked) but it would give me/us a place to start. What do you think?

Mark
shawniverson

Post by shawniverson »

I don't know very much about Baruwa, Darky's the expert on that one. He's been very busy. I'm sure he'll chime in with some thoughts.
darky83
Site Admin

Post by darky83 »

For now I want to stay with postfix and mailwatch.

Baruwa uses a complete different setup and most users here have said they don't like the baruwa way (this is why we moved back to mailwatch like esva did).
My biggest problem with baruwa is the update path, which makes updating from a VM for all users (like E.F.A) a pain in the.....

I believe Flux used some of my code in the installer for baruwa, and this is all fine, for the people wanting to use baruwa I think they should go with his installer script.
Version eFa 4.x now available!