baruwa 2.0 install

General eFa discussion
bbrendon

baruwa 2.0 install

Post by bbrendon »

Since this is related to efa-project I figured I'd post how far I got with this. I haven't seen any install instructions for baruwa 2.0 anywhere on google yet. :( Here are some debian squeeze steps.

I compared the baruwa requirements to packages and got most of them nailed down:

Code: Select all

apt-get install python-turbogears python-pylons python-psycopg2 postgresql python-geoip python-ipy libapache2-mod-wsgi python-reportlab  python-lxml python-sqlalchemy python-sphinx python-m2crypto python-repoze.who python-repoze.what python-pyrad python-ldap build-essential python-dev python-mysqldb
Packages for these items are unsure:
What packages for memcached ? memcached python-memcache libmemcached-dev
what packages for marrow?

tar xjvf baruwa-2.0.0.tar.bz2
cd baruwa-2.0.0
python setup.py install
I actually got through a bunch of errors. You'll also probably get an error about having to run "easy_install -U distribute".

To get around this one:

File "setup.py", line 9, in <module>
    # (at your option) any later version.
  File "/tmp/easy_install-s7GPnc/pyparsing-2.0.0/pyparsing.py", line 629
    nonlocal limit,foundArity
                 ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
root@bbdeb:/tmp/baruwa-2.0.0#
... you have to run "easy_install pyparsing==1.5.7". Apparently the install script for baruwa tries to install pyparsing 2.0 which is only compatible with python3.

Then you'll get a webob error. To fix that: easy_install webob==1.1.1
I'm not sure how to just install the latest webob. python is likely my worst scripting language.

Then you get a mako error: easy_install -U mako (I learned a new param, -U). heh

Then you get a few more errors. Fix like above.

Then you're done installing baruwa 2.0. Good luck configuring it :)

Using /usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/waitress-0.8.2-py2.6.egg
Searching for Pygments==1.3.1
Best match: Pygments 1.3.1
Pygments 1.3.1 is already the active version in easy-install.pth
Installing pygmentize script to /usr/local/bin

Using /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6
Finished processing dependencies for baruwa==2.0.0
root@bbdeb:/tmp/baruwa-2.0.0#

Why I did this: we're still running ESVA and EFA is the next best thing. I got EFA up and running today but I noticed it was very similar to ESVA. I saw a thread about going to baruwa 2.0 so I thought I'd try to see where I could get with it.
bbrendon

Re: baruwa 2.0 install

Post by bbrendon »

After hacking around a bit more I found out a few more things.
1. you can make a debian pacakge out of the baruwa-2.0.tar.bz2 no problem with dpkg-buildpacakge. It requires packages that are in debian wheezy/sid or possibly also or instead from baruwa enterprise. not sure.

2. The baruwa 2.0 web instructions might have been good to follow instead of hacking through it :)
http://www.baruwa.org/docs/2.0/
ge2000

Post by ge2000 »

Thanks for the info.

I was about to start with Exim as this is supposed to be the preferred MTA for baruwa 2. With your info I might get it to work. :-)

--Ge
bbrendon

Post by bbrendon »

I think our fearless leader darky83 has baruwa installed, but I'm not sure. If he does, maybe he can share his notes.

Here are my notes from doing the source install using debian squeeze.
http://pastebin.com/raZNQVS0

They are nasty, but they might be useful to someone. At the end, I was able to open the webpage, but I couldnt login. Also, the css/images weren't working.

I'm not sure how much further I'm going to take this. I see a few major issues I'll have that will make it very hard for me. 1-I'm poor with python. 2-no exim experience. 3-this baruwa2 has a lot of dependencies on other software. -- All of this making it difficult to install and maintain for me. I've come to the realization there is no way I can do this by myself and still keep up with other things.
darky83
Site Admin

Post by darky83 »

I'm not sure how much further I'm going to take this. I see a few major issues I'll have that will make it very hard for me. 1-I'm poor with python. 2-no exim experience. 3-this baruwa2 has a lot of dependencies on other software. -- All of this making it difficult to install and maintain for me. I've come to the realization there is no way I can do this by myself and still keep up with other things.
I am at the same point actually :(

Baruwa 2 is a good product but a 'maintainability night mare'
Still thinking about a solution.

Guess it will be somekind of EFA debian repository with custom created debian packages to keep things maintainable on the EFA systems, but creating the packages would still be a nightmare :(

baruwa 1.x is much better in this aspect :S
Version eFa 4.x now available!
bbrendon

Post by bbrendon »

I'd be tempted to keep the baurwa 2 stuff efa specific and maybe skip the packages?
Not sure what's easiest. :)
darky83
Site Admin

Post by darky83 »

I guess that is the easiest yes..

I am thinking of an big installation script & an extended EFA-Configure script to manage all aspects of the system.
Maybe installations of upgrades can be 'easily maintained' that way because everything is 'standard' (as in no files are edited by hand).

Maybe even a webinterface to manage everything instead of the current EFA-Configure script.

But again.. more time is needed to create an setup that 'is easy' something that I really want :)

Deploy the VM -> boot -> configure IP & mail domains -> Ready
I just ordered an exim book to get started with exim as I really have never even configured a single exim installation :)
sberube

Post by sberube »

If Baruwa2 is so complicated, why not going with another GUI like MailWatch?
darky83
Site Admin

Post by darky83 »

That is also an idea but allot of people don't like the mailwatch gui (one of the biggest complains about ESVA) and also there has not been an update for mailwatch for over 1,5 year now so development for mailwatch is also starting to slow down.

I am pretty far along with a new EFA based on debian 7 and Baruwa 2.0.1 but i'm still not 'happy' with it, I hope to have a testing version of that out somewhere in the next few months.
sberube

Post by sberube »

darky83 wrote:I am pretty far along with a new EFA based on debian 7 and Baruwa 2.0.1 but i'm still not 'happy' with it, I hope to have a testing version of that out somewhere in the next few months.
Woot! :D
Alex

Post by Alex »

Hi,
have you a timeline? If you need support or testsystems please pm me.
I have free test rootservers in my rz.
Alex
darky83
Site Admin

Post by darky83 »

Hi Alex,

See this post: http://forum.efa-project.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=400
for the current status & a test version for download.

Running the test version for a while now without any problems, made a few small changes but overall it seems to work stable in my situation.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Thanks,
can you provide a vm-ware image?
Regards Alex