Blacklisting A Tricky Sender

General eFa discussion
EFAUser1

Blacklisting A Tricky Sender

Post by EFAUser1 »

Dealing with some tricky spammers from Enterprise Tech Reports. I can't fully blacklist them. For example, I blacklisted this address below:
info@hillary.enterprisetechreports.com
The next day they come back and it doesn't matter, because they're sending from:
info@terry.enterprisetechreports.com
So no matter how often you add to the blacklist, they change part of the sender and nothing gets blacklisted. Internally it is marked spam but the user still gets the notification about it. Wouldn't be so bad but that particular spammer sends emails 10+ emails a day so that user gets notified 10+ times a day.

If I just put enterprisetechreports.com into the blacklist, nothing actually gets blocked. Any ideas?
DaN

Re: Blacklisting A Tricky Sender

Post by DaN »

Do you tried *@*.enterprisetechreports.com or *.enterprisetechreports.com?
EFAUser1

Post by EFAUser1 »

DaN wrote:Do you tried *@*.enterprisetechreports.com or *.enterprisetechreports.com?
I did not try either because I could have sworn I saw that EFA does not support wildcards. Is that correct?
shawniverson

Post by shawniverson »

That is true, this is a limitation of mailscanner and mailwatch.

Now, why not just disable the Spam Not Delivered notifications in your case?
EFAUser1

Post by EFAUser1 »

shawniverson wrote:That is true, this is a limitation of mailscanner and mailwatch.

Now, why not just disable the Spam Not Delivered notifications in your case?
Wait I'm confused. So you're saying try to do *@* or *.enterprisetechrepots but then you're saying it won't work because EFA doesn't support wildcards.

Can you disable "Spam Not Delivered" notifications for certain domains? On the whole, the spam not delivered notifications are pretty spot on so I'd love to keep them turned on for every domain other than this one giving us issues.
DaN

Post by DaN »

@EFAUser1
To me it is allowed to be wrong. I'm a human.
Last edited by DaN on 03 Nov 2016 07:38, edited 1 time in total.
dbrunt

Post by dbrunt »

I just discovered the same issue. My case though, massive SPAM from *@*.xyz and from *@*.*.top

Your are correct, Mailscanner MailWatch white/blacklist does not allow wildcards. Just full domain name or full email address.

But...SpamAssassin white/blacklist does allow wildcards!

Login to Webmin (https://efa.your.domain:10000) and go to SpamAssassin Mail Filter in Servers panel, then Allowed and Denied Addresses.
In Denied addresses, add *.enterprisetechreports.com
webguyz

Post by webguyz »

Thanks for the tip about spamassassin and wildcards. But maybe a side affect is I see empty spaces in the Recent Messages list and when clicking on the # side of the empty ones they are from domains I have blacklisted. Do you see the same thing?
efa-recent-messaages.PNG
efa-recent-messaages.PNG (54.22 KiB) Viewed 6357 times
webguyz

Post by webguyz »

Turned out the problem was a CSS issue. Class 'blacklisted' showed white characters on a white background.

Looks ok after I tweaked it.

Thanks!