Different retention times for quarantined and normal email

Request and discuss new features you would like to have.
BOOZy

Different retention times for quarantined and normal email

Post by BOOZy »

On a busy server disk space will be consumed fairly quickly by legitimate email, setting retention very short helps but hinders retrieving false positives, and setting retention to only save spam removes the ability to manually train SA or resend an email.
pdwalker

Re: Different retention times for quarantined and normal email

Post by pdwalker »

so how do you imagine this feature would work? Could you explain how it would work.

That said, with the cost of storage being so low, how hard is it to configure a server with 1TB of storage for the mail queue? How much storage do you actually need?
BOOZy

Post by BOOZy »

How would this work?
Right now under "Quarantine Retention" you only have one option, this setting reflects the retention time for both spam and legitimate email.
I'd like to see this split up into two values reflection retention for spam and legitimate email separately.
Since I'm not involved in programming EFA I can only speculate how this works but I suspect a cron job invokers a script that takes care of this.
So the work needed to realize this would be:
1 - add extra UI option
2 - add database entry
3 - change delete script

On extending disk space.
We deployed EFA using the preconfigured OVA so disk size is more or less set.
Are there any instructions available for extending the disk?
pdwalker

Post by pdwalker »

I understand what you mean now.

It would need to be offered as a feature request, through the development site here: https://github.com/MailScanner/v5/issues

I just had a quick look and I can see there are two maintenance tasks that control this:
/usr/sbin/ms-clean-quarantine which gets its information from /etc/MailScanner/defaults as to how many days of emails to keep in the quarantine directory

and there is another process that cleans out the database of old entries (controlled by /var/www/mailscanner/conf.php RECORD_DAYS_TO_KEEP parameter?)

I am probably be forgetting or missing a few things, but I guess it is possible with a bit of work to customize it yourself.

However, I'd find it easier to expand the size of the storage. How you'd do that depends on the hypervisor. I am sure there are plenty of guides online for this.

Another way would be to do a fresh install with a large enough size so that you don't have to worry about it any time soon. I configured mine with 100GB and have been between 45-55% storage since rolling out v4.