HTML email being converted to Plain Text

General eFa discussion
lukekenny

HTML email being converted to Plain Text

Post by lukekenny »

HTML emails sent from Exchange 2016 through eFa are being converted to plain text. Images in the signature show up as attachment, things like bold, italics are lost.

This behaviour appears to have started around a month ago.

Is there a setting I should check?
pdwalker

Re: HTML email being converted to Plain Text

Post by pdwalker »

What changed?

Did someone change something in Exchange Server to cause this to happen?

EFA doesn't convert email from one format to another as far as I know. I'd check and test your exchange configuration by

1/ sending an email to an external address you can access and see if the email is converted or not
2/ configure the send connector for this external address domain to send directly, and not via efa
3/ send another email to see if the email has been converted or not.

If the email is converted and you've not send it through EFA, then you have your answer on where to look.
lukekenny

Post by lukekenny »

Thanks for your help, it pointed me in the right direction.

There was a setting in Exchange that was causing HTML emails to be sent in Microsoft's TNEF format, with a winmail.dat attachment. I was able to disable that using the Exchange Management Shell command:

Code: Select all

Set-RemoteDomain -Identity thedomain -TNEFEnabled $false
This seems to have resolved the issue.
pdwalker

Post by pdwalker »

That's what I thought. I've had that problem about 2 decades ago with an old exchange server.

I found the setting somewhere in the exchange management console and turned it on because the TNEF format for old version of outlook made for nicer emails than html when using outlook as a client.

Unfortunately, I failed to realize that it borked the email for html email clients and I had to turn it off fairly quickly.

Whoops!