SafePipe in Message.pm error

Bugs in eFa 4
machabot

SafePipe in Message.pm error

Post by machabot »

Hi,

Since a few weeks, I got these errors sometimes in maillog.

Mar 22 18:12:07 dti-efagw MailScanner[13078]: SafePipe in Message.pm : /usr/bin/file -b '/var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/13078/4KNQfX51gJzB1pH1/nmsg-13078-2.html' 2>&1 failed with real error: Can't fork: Cannot allocate memory at /usr/share/MailScanner/perl/MailScanner/Message.pm line 3638.
Mar 27 10:07:10 dti-efagw MailScanner[18147]: SafePipe in Message.pm : /usr/bin/file -b '/var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/18147/4KRHdn1wdrzB2lYk/nmsg-18147-1.txt' 2>&1 failed with real error: Can't fork: Cannot allocate memory at /usr/share/MailScanner/perl/MailScanner/Message.pm line 3638.
Mar 27 11:12:12 dti-efagw MailScanner[2454]: SafePipe in Message.pm : /usr/bin/file -b '/var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/2454/4KRK7C2K46zB3wJM/z32slideLayout4.xml.rels' 2>&1 failed with real error: Can't fork: Cannot allocate memory at /usr/share/MailScanner/perl/MailScanner/Message.pm line 3638.

This weekend, there was a lot of them and our EFA server was very unstable since sunday. There were a really high peak of memory use for a few hours, twice ram (8GB) it used normally (around 4GB). I checked RAM history in VMWARE and i did'nt see that kind of behavior in the last year. I would add that since somewhere in the second week of mars, EFA use much more memory than it has in the past.

Did someone have any clue on this ?
pdwalker

Re: SafePipe in Message.pm error

Post by pdwalker »

Clearly something is using all your memory and you need to see what's happening when it is happening to find out why.

Did you add software to your system? Did someone change settings, like configuring mysql to use more memory? Is ClamAV misbehaving? Did you add other AV programs?

There are many problems you can use for monitoring your system, such as 'top'. Or you can use webadmin, system, running processes to monitor your system to find out what is happening to which program.

Once you know, then you can figure out the next steps.

For what it is worth, I've never had this error on my, 8GB memory, installation