EFA(5)/Debian

Request and discuss new features you would like to have.
tgoeschelbauer

EFA(5)/Debian

Post by tgoeschelbauer »

Hi!

I've been running EFA 3 for a while now and I'm really happy with everything it does. I've been meaning to upgrade for a while, but things have been a bit chaotic over the past year (as you all probably know).

In the meantime, the unfortunate news about CentOS came to light, so I am a bit hesitant to stick with it for a purpose as important as e-mail filtering.

Has there been any progress on Debian/Ubuntu compatibility and is there an approximate release date? If it's not too much longer, I would much prefer to use that than a very soon to be EOL linux distro.

Thanks,
Tom
shawniverson

Re: EFA(5)/Debian

Post by shawniverson »

Yes, progress is being made. I am actively working on the debian build.
nightowl

Post by nightowl »

Hi! Any update/progress on the v5 Debian release?
shawniverson

Post by shawniverson »

Still ongoing. Status is still lots to do.
gij

Post by gij »

Hi, I´m also interested in the progress here. I have been using eFa for over 15 years (back when it was called ESVA). Today we run a cluster of somewhat modified version of eFa v4. We have dockerized eFa v4, and run a cluster of eFa services that all talk to a central MariaDB cluster. MailWatch is also a central component that talk to each eFa v4 docker container. We store and analyze all logs from eFa in an ELK stack. Currently we have 5 different virus scanners in each eFa container. In front of the eFa containers we have a HAProxy cluster which works very well. For simplicity, all eFa containers fetch their configuration from a private repo on GitHub every 10th minute. So whenever we change a rule it is propagated within 10 minutes which is fine for our needs (and we have the option of rollback of rules as GitHub provides revision control).

Running a CentOS based application in a docker container is a real pain. Even the startup services require kernel access, and it is a total mess to make things work. Don't get me wrong, it do work fine, and we have been running eFa for years in this docker environment (all on Ubuntu hosts). And it do scale easily by just adding more containers in the pool.

However, it's time to rewrite and make a new version of our docker image of eFa. And this time, I would like to abandon CentOS and move to Debian/Ubuntu. I would love to base this on your work, as I would hate to make a complete fork of v4 to port it to Ubuntu. Do you have a roadmap, or can I help in any way on the development?
e-d-i-t

Post by e-d-i-t »

Interested! I was almost going to switch to AlmaLinux 8 or RockyLinux 8, but if v5 is going to be Deb/Ub, I can wait :dance: