Update eFa-4.0.2-13 resolv.conf

Bugs in eFa 4
henk

Update eFa-4.0.2-13 resolv.conf

Post by henk »

I use Static DHCP on my LAN interface(s). The eFa DNS servers are defined in the -Pfsense- DHCP server entry for eFa.
Any NetworkManager, with default configuration, in efa will pick up these DHCP settings just fine.

After the upgrade to eFa-4.0.2-13.eFa.el7.x86_64.rpm I did reboot efa. After the reboot I noticed an issue with Unbound.
As I do not reboot to often I'm not sure the update was responsible.

A quick search found that in /etc/resolv.conf the nameserver (nameserver 127.0.0.1) was missing.

I restored the standard behaviour for NetworkManager by commenting the dns=none line

Code: Select all

/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

[main]
#dns=none
I think an eFa-configure option "Use Networkmanager to manage resolv.conf (Y/N)" could solve this issue.

When N is selected, do not set dns=none in NetworkManager.conf
“We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works.” -Douglas Adams
shawniverson

Re: Update eFa-4.0.2-13 resolv.conf

Post by shawniverson »

Sounds like a reasonable way to approach this.
shawniverson

Post by shawniverson »

shawniverson

Post by shawniverson »

Just a heads up there's a -14 in the pipe, be prepared to comment this line again. I have pulled it from future updates and will replace it with a menu option.
warlord

Post by warlord »

I've still got eFa running outside my production environment so I only noticed this issue today after it hit on April 13th when it updated to -12.
I concur that commenting out dns=none fixes the problem for me. I use local-caching nameservers for my network and have all my devices point at those. This change first set it to 127.0.0.1 (which is wrong) and then after reboot it was empty (which was also wrong).
I also concur a menu item would be nice. But having the system change its configuration during an automated update seems like a poor UX to me.
Had this been a production system I would have noticed sooner, but I also might have lost mail if DNS broke during an update overnight.
jamerson

Post by jamerson »

i beleive i am on the same boat, my box keeps having issues with oubound,i thought it was ipv6 but good catch Henk " dank je wel"
i'll give it a try and check it.
Version eFa 4.0.0 RC1 now available in testing repo. Come join us in advancing eFa!
phatison

Post by phatison »

Hey Everyone,

This is effecting new installs too. When running the installer in the web ui, it gives very little info. After some digging, after I would refresh the page or re-run the installer, I noticed NetworkManager.conf filling up with dns=none. I am still troubleshooting this. However, my installation is dead in the water at this point because it keeps failing with "Error configuring DNS."

What is happening:

[main]
dns=none
dns=none

Any ideas for a workaround? Seems this issue has been on the burner for a moment.
phatison

Post by phatison »

Looks like maybe a few more issues.

I am running into these issue on fresh Centos 7 x64 with SELinux.

ERROR 1064 (42000) at line 20: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'firstseen TIMESTAMP NOT NULL DEFAULT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP,
	lastsent TIMESTAMP NOT ' at line 11
[eFa] - Configuring hostname and domainname
[eFa] - Setting DNS
Job for NetworkManager.service invalid.
[eFa] - Error initializing system!  Please try again...
Should I open a few issues?
shawniverson

Post by shawniverson »

Which update servers are you hitting when you run this?

sudo yum update
phatison

Post by phatison »

Here's the output from

yum update

Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
epel/x86_64/metalink                                                                                                    |  14 kB  00:00:00     
 * base: ftp.osuosl.org
 * eFa4: dl7.efa-project.org
 * epel: mirror.atl.genesisadaptive.com
 * extras: www.gtlib.gatech.edu
 * updates: mirror.ash.fastserv.com
base                                                                                                                    | 3.6 kB  00:00:00     
eFa4                                                                                                                    | 2.9 kB  00:00:00     
epel                                                                                                                    | 4.7 kB  00:00:00     
extras                                                                                                                  | 2.9 kB  00:00:00     
ius                                                                                                                     | 1.3 kB  00:00:00     
updates                                                                                                                 | 2.9 kB  00:00:00     
(1/2): epel/x86_64/updateinfo                                                                                           | 1.0 MB  00:00:00     
(2/2): epel/x86_64/primary_db                                                                                           | 6.9 MB  00:00:00     
No packages marked for update