How to handle multiple domains hostname

Questions and answers about how to do stuff
jlau

How to handle multiple domains hostname

Post by jlau »

Hello everyone, I'm a recent migrated user from ESVA2 and I'm loving the level of documentation available for efa (why didn't I move before!?)

My setup is simple:
Internet Mail --> efa --> Exchange

However, the Exchange server hosts email for several domains and I have configured multiple hostnames in /etc/hosts
For example
192.168.1.1 hostname.domain1.com
192.168.1.2 hostname.domain2.com

Is there a way to configure the SMTP banner to respond with the correct value depending on the IP address?
Ultimately, I'm looking to eliminate reverse DNS mismatch errors (Reverse DNS does not contain the hostname, Reverse DNS is not a valid Hostname, Reverse DNS does not match SMTP Banner)

What is the correct way to configure this setup?

Thanks in advanced!
shawniverson

Re: How to handle multiple domains hostname

Post by shawniverson »

The relay shouldn't list the name of a mailservers but rather its own hostname that maps the the appropriate IP and reverse record as described in the MX records. If you have all this information aligned with a single banner you should not have problems.
jlau

Re: How to handle multiple domains hostname

Post by jlau »

Thanks for your reply Shawn
I understand your suggestion, but the company that owns all of the domains wants to use the same email filter appliance and use domain specific MX records, i.e. MX record for domain 1 is hostname.domain1.com, for domain 2 it is hostname.domain2.com, both of them pointing to different IP addresses that go to the same machine.

The easiest and most obvious solution is to use one email filter appliance per domain, but I'm trying to find a way to accomplish it with just the one.