root password

Bugs in eFa 4
rooter_c

root password

Post by rooter_c »

Don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but I have followed the Migration Guide steps twice now, and something is resetting my root password after I copy the backup files across, then run through the eFa-Init wizard. Having to do a Centos root password recovery to progress.
rooter_c

Re: root password

Post by rooter_c »

I'm also getting these errors and no mail delivery. I'm not using DMARC or DKIM

Nov 15 10:36:22 eFa4 postfix/cleanup[3612]: warning: connect to Milter service inet:localhost:8891: Connection refused
Nov 15 10:36:22 eFa4 postfix/cleanup[3612]: 47DdCp6kn7zCLsT: milter-reject: CONNECT from localhost[127.0.0.1]: 4.7.1 Service unavailable - try again later; from=<root@towong.local>
shawniverson

Post by shawniverson »

root password is locked down by design. You can of course sudo in and change that if you desire.

Not sure why you have that milter, but edit /etc/postfix/main.cf and remove the milter inet:localhost:8891 and reload postfix. If you are not using DKIM, you don't need it.
rooter_c

Post by rooter_c »

Thanks, as suggested removed milter references to ports 8891 (and 8893) in main.cf, they don't seem to be getting removed when disabling dkim / dmarc as earlier suggested by tesme33
webguyz

Post by webguyz »

shawniverson wrote: 15 Nov 2019 05:57 root password is locked down by design. You can of course sudo in and change that if you desire.

Not sure why you have that milter, but edit /etc/postfix/main.cf and remove the milter inet:localhost:8891 and reload postfix. If you are not using DKIM, you don't need it.
How can I allow root password and access from outside using tools like WinSCP or Putty.
shawniverson

Post by shawniverson »

<post removed>

Lapse in judgement detected.
pdwalker

Post by pdwalker »

I strongly suggest that you use ssh keys to allow access to your root account rather than setting a password.

It'll also make the winscp and putty tools easier to use.

Personally, I use a non admin account as my login using ssh keys, and then taking the second step of using sudo to make any changes that require root permissions.
jamerson

Post by jamerson »

pdwalker wrote: 15 Apr 2020 07:03 I strongly suggest that you use ssh keys to allow access to your root account rather than setting a password.

It'll also make the winscp and putty tools easier to use.

Personally, I use a non admin account as my login using ssh keys, and then taking the second step of using sudo to make any changes that require root permissions.
this is really handy, is there some kind of tutorial to get the privat key set up?
Version eFa 4.0.0 RC1 now available in testing repo. Come join us in advancing eFa!
pdwalker

Post by pdwalker »

I am sure there are many tutorials online for doing this.

Do you need one for winscp and putty?
jamerson

Post by jamerson »

pdwalker wrote: 05 Jan 2021 07:47 I am sure there are many tutorials online for doing this.

Do you need one for winscp and putty?
Thank you my friend,
ive got it set up already.
Version eFa 4.0.0 RC1 now available in testing repo. Come join us in advancing eFa!