In Line Signatures (inline.sig.in.html)

Bugs in eFa 4
jkosharek

In Line Signatures (inline.sig.in.html)

Post by jkosharek »

I am looking inline signatures for incoming mail that I previously had configured in v3 and it appears that the $hostname, id=$id&token, and $token in the 'Click here to report this message as spam.' link break this function in html and txt rules.

/usr/share/MailScanner/reports/en/inline.sig.in.html:
<br />--
<br /><a href="http://$hostname/cgi-bin/learn-msg.cgi?id=$id&token=$token">Click here to report this message as spam.</a>
<br />--
Test results html:
--
--

I stripped out $hostname, $id&token, and $token all individually and any of them see to break adding the link on incoming emails. leave those out and it adds the bogus URL I tested in inline.sig.in.html

Was this function depreciated in v4? Is there a war to test the variables on the console?
shawniverson

Re: In Line Signatures (inline.sig.in.html)

Post by shawniverson »

CustomActions.pm from v3 overloads the functions in MailScanner necessary to enable these variables.

I am looking into bringing them back as a PHP API call instead of a CGI call.
jkosharek

Post by jkosharek »

Is an update like this something that will be pushed out as an auto update?
shawniverson

Post by shawniverson »

Yep
Bobybarns

Post by Bobybarns »

I can't find out if this has been activated, that is, a way I can insert a link at the bottom of the email so users can judge for themselves whether the email is spam. :think:
iandarke

Post by iandarke »

Following up... I'm missing this feature as well. Otherwise, when you get a piece of spam, you have to login to the web UI to report it.

I tried copying using my v3 signature and v3 custom actions file, but it didn't seem to resurrect the functionality and I rolled back to the v4 custom action files without spending a lot of time on it.
scl402a

Post by scl402a »

Any update on this feature? been logging in to the console to flag messages as spam.

Hope this feature can be brought back asap to benefit everyone.
peawet08

Post by peawet08 »

I'd only just implemented this in v3, then upgraded to v4 and lost it.

Is the an ETA on this?

Thanks for your hard work!!!!!
cordeos

Post by cordeos »

We recently began running very heavy, pre-production testing of EFA4 and found lots of problems with the "custom(spam)" or "custom(nonspam)" custom perl action. In general, it seems CustomAction.pm really no longer works.

One of the effects of this is we can no longer send the "Mark as SPAM" link in lowscoring SPAM messages since the token is not created and $hostname value is not available. The $id value still works.

After some long investigation and data review we actually found
a) few users utilize the report as spam feature, and MORE IMPORTANTLY
b) we could not identify a single case where users reporting "LEARN SPAM" improved/caught the delivery of any SPAM.
**Not once in systems which process 100s of thousands of messages per day.

So, although some users really miss the psychological satisfaction or clicking REPORT AS SPAM... we decided to eliminate it all together. However we still still need $hostname information to help identify which gateway host had processed the SMTP message.

For those who are interested, here is quick fix to add a simple replacement of "#hostname" in your inline.text and inline.html files with the actual hostname value.

in /usr/share/MailScanner/perl/MailScanner/Message.pm...
LINE 5353 add:
# Special customization
my $localserver = '';
use Sys::Hostname;
$localserver = hostname();

LINE 5450 (after "$signature = $this->ReadVirusWarning('inlinehtmlsig');")
add:
$signature =~ s/#hostname/$localserver/i;

LINE 5468 (after "$signature = $this->ReadVirusWarning('inlinetextsig');")
add:
$signature =~ s/#hostname/$localserver/i;

* really the signature text data processing should be moved to it's own function or block so it can be constructed in a single logic set for different case... but for now this quick fix works ok.