Is there a future of EFA?

New users please present your self here (no real names needed) so we can prevent spam bots.
ge2000

Is there a future of EFA?

Post by ge2000 »

At first I was very excited to see a kind of follow-up of ESVA. However I noticed that the past two month there isn't any noticeable development on EFA.

Since running and maintaining a project with a single developer is absolutely impossible I 'm afraid EFA will soon follow ESVA.

Hopefully I'm wrong but I would like to know if there is a future for EFA and how can we(!) keep it running.

Everyone's thoughts on this will be appreciated.

Kind regards,
Ge
darky83
Site Admin

Re: Is there a future of EFA?

Post by darky83 »

I have multiple projects and work on this project so now and then.

Currently I'm thinking of a way to implement baruwa 2.0 as this should be a complete redesign of how I set EFA up in the first place (easy maintainable due to only using debian packages, something that is not possible with baruwa 2.0 anymore as that is a source only release..)

Also Baruwa 2.0 is mainly focused on exim, although I got it running with postfix it’s not stable at all so I won't continue with that for now.

So what is the future?

I guess an EFA 2.0 that is built on baruwa 2.0 with exim as MTA,
This does means allot of learning on my part (0 experience with exim) and allot of planning and testing to get this working correctly, and most of all stable…. (how to deal with baruwa upgrades is a big issue as that will take allot of time with each baruwa update)

So help is needed at some point, I just have no clue jet in what form.

There are allot of ideas on what people want to have but as for now not a single contribution has been made to the github repository from anyone else (not even a checkout of the code) so for now I’m the only one working on this project.

I have no planning on letting this project die just like what happened to ESVA, but as my time is limited also development will be slow, and with the huge change Baruwa made with 2.0 the next release of EFA will not be here anywhere soon.
Version eFa 4.x now available!
ge2000

Re: Is there a future of EFA?

Post by ge2000 »

Thanks Arno for your reply.

I know it's always a struggle with time, knowledge and availability. There are a lot of projects depending on one person and how hard this person works, it's usually never enough unless you take the risk of a heart attack. So you have to stay healthy and need help. I'm glad you have opensourced EFA so may be there are others willing to take a role in the project.

I will closely follow the project and soon will take the current EFA version in production as a second MX for a few hundred users.

Regards,
Ge