Postfix as gateway relaying to smarthost

Questions and answers about how to do stuff
sem

Postfix as gateway relaying to smarthost

Post by sem »

Hi

Looking through your build script, you assume that the machine is going to be an Internet mailhost, but surely a great many of these appliances would be on an internal network relaying through a smarthost - which is the option I'd select when installing Postfix. Just a thought. Could you not ask the question during initial configuration?

sem
darky83
Site Admin

Re: Postfix as gateway relaying to smarthost

Post by darky83 »

Thats a good one, I don't use smarthosts so never taught of that.

Will keep that in mind for a next version.
Version eFa 4.x now available!
sem

Post by sem »

OK - glad it wasn't a dumb suggestion - the other one is DNS related - right now, we need to forward to a DNS server - but you could argue that if running EFA in a gateway capacity, wouldn't it want to provide it's own DNS resolution? I'm thinking of how ZImbra works in particular.

sem
darky83
Site Admin

Post by darky83 »

Yea thats a hard one to answer,

It would be a possibility but on the other hand most people already have a internal DNS server available so it would be logical to use their already existing DNS server.

If I look at commercial products such as Barracuda they also require you to provide a DNS server.
So not sure yet what the smart thing would be.

d.
Version eFa 4.x now available!
sem

Post by sem »

Probably leave it as it is - if anyone needs the appliance to handle DNS itself then that's something they can do. I just did a belt and braces on a ZImbra to Exchange Gateway so that the zimbra box was never querying the Windows DNS server when relaying mail to exchange - Windows seems to have a nasty habit of forgetting DNS entries.