Why Debian?

General eFa discussion
Raya-Tech

Why Debian?

Post by Raya-Tech »

Hi

Why you use debian as system and not ubuntu server? I think ubuntu in server edition is mutch better to running an email filtering appliance (all our server run it)...

Regards
Raphael
darky83
Site Admin

Re: Why Debian?

Post by darky83 »

Everyone preferes there own system best for me thats Debian.

Ubuntu is based on Debian unstable because I want to have a stable system without all the updates (ubuntu has many more updates then Debian has) so using Debian saves valuable time maintaing servers.

Thats the best thing about opensource software, if you don't like it you can always create your own :)
Version eFa 4.x now available!
Raya-Tech

Post by Raya-Tech »

darky83 wrote:Ubuntu is based on Debian unstable because I want to have a stable system without all the updates (ubuntu has many more updates then Debian has) so using Debian saves valuable time maintaing servers.
Hi Darky

Ubuntu Server and unstable? I don't realy think that is true :-)

You've right, everyone can build the own one - but I like you're idea to build a mail filtering system that admins can setup really easy. I also think that I'll offer you my support for resources and translations to get this project forward.

Why I use ubuntu server - life cycle...: http://serverfault.com/questions/389199 ... ubuntu-lts

Maybe it will sometime be possible that you can give your efa project also in a ubuntu server version :-)

Regards
Raphael S.
darky83
Site Admin

Post by darky83 »

Well Ubuntu is based on debian unstable packages
(if you do a cat /etc/debian_version you will see it notes sid (which is the unstable branch http://www.debian.org/releases/sid/)

Not that ubuntu is 'unstable' but it do means that packages are updated more often. something I want to keep at a minimum.

It should be fairly simple to modify the build script for ubuntu, I will take a look at that in a while.
Version eFa 4.x now available!
bbrendon

Post by bbrendon »

Agreed with doing it on Debian. All my servers are debian. :)