Customization

General eFa discussion
drewmorris

Customization

Post by drewmorris »

Hi All...

I am considering doing some customization to the EFA project. Some of it could be re-usable and I would like to have it contributed back to the project so I will likely fork the project on github but I was wondering if any of the major contributors were interested in a consulting project. Right now I am actively looking for a person that can do the work and I would clearly rather work with someone familiar with the project than with someone that needs to learn it all from scratch. If interested... please let me know.

Thanks,

Drew
buzzzo

Re: Customization

Post by buzzzo »

Which kind of mods would you implement?
drewmorris

Re: Customization

Post by drewmorris »

I have 2 main customizations actually and they are mainly targeted at simplifying the process for setting up and configuring multiple nodes for larger scale deployments.

1) First I would like to add a menu to the main config menu which takes a "Configuration URL". If this URL is provided it would save the URL to a config file which would be used along with a shell script to call the URL every x minutes (registered as a cron job in crontab) to look for changes to the overall configuration. The response of this URL would contain information on how to modify any config file on the system like /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf or /etc/postfix/main.cf along with the key and the value to modify. (I have written some sample code to do this and it seems to work well). The configuration URL would be able to provide key/value changes to config files or even full files to be written to the disk (or overwritten if they are already there). It would also be able to set crontab entries for some of these files. I currently use a simplistic approach to managing this script as a csv file but I am leaning toward making it an XML or JSON config file.

2) I also want to embed the messagesniffer application (by ARM research) so it is installed and turned off by default. If a license key is provided in the configuration URL it would be activated for that deployment.

I am also looking for some advice on how to setup my config parameters.

I have a full specification that explains everything I want to do but these are the highlights.