Turnkey Linux Project

General eFa discussion
drewmorris

Turnkey Linux Project

Post by drewmorris »

Have you guys ever considered moving this project to use TKLDev. It would be enormously useful in the long run. I recognize that it would require a bit of thought since this build uses CentOS whereas TKLDev is Debian but the advantages are numerous.

1) It simplifies the build process and provides support for a standard ISO install as well as OVF, OpenStack, OpenVZ, OpenNode, and Xen.
2) It provides built in tools for backup/recovery (if one wants to enable it)
3) It would immediately expose this project to a much broader community

I have used some of the TKLDev based builds and they are just great... simple to install and you can get up and running in minutes.

Just a thought but I think it is worth some consideration.

- Drew
shawniverson

Re: Turnkey Linux Project

Post by shawniverson »

Well, since I am not a fan of systemd, I have thought about this...I'm not entirely thrilled with CentOS 7...

I am more a Debian guy myself, but I think it would be nice to set up a poll or similar to have our community drive this and other decisions on another major release.

Thoughts?
buzzzo

Post by buzzzo »

Systemd would appear also in future versions of debian
so I think we should deal with it.
shawniverson

Post by shawniverson »

Yeah, just delaying the inevitable ....
darky83
Site Admin

Post by darky83 »

In my opinion we can start thinking about it when they start supporting CentOS :)

Yes I like Debian myself more than CentOS, however there are way more people who prefer CentOS.
(using Debian instead of CentOS was one of the biggest complains we got in previous versions of EFA when we still used Debian)

Systemd is here to stay, I guess we all need to learn to live with it sadly enough :P

One other drawback is that if you would like to migrate to Debian that users will never be able to upgrade the current system.
Version eFa 4.x now available!
drewmorris

Post by drewmorris »

I think the advantages are more related to having things like the multi-format deployment that TKLDev gives you. It would also simplify some common admin tasks like backup/recovery (if you wanted to use that feature).

I personally think the TKLDev framework has a ton of potential and it allows for easier updates/patches once the system is up and running.
darky83
Site Admin

Post by darky83 »

True, and I agree :)

The thing is that I would like to stay with CentOS, but we can always look ahead and maybe change the system in a future edition.
drewmorris

Post by drewmorris »

Just out of curiosity... are there a lot of CentOS specific dependencies? Is it more about corporate policies (since CentOS is more readily supported)? or is it just a matter of preference?

I am just curious if the majority of scripts/installation components would transfer easily or if it would be a difficult migration.
darky83
Site Admin

Post by darky83 »

The whole build script is CentOS specific.

We will need to start from scratch with all needed dependencies so yea it might be a whole bunch of work :)
JeremyDavis

Post by JeremyDavis »

Hi all,

Just thought I'd jump in here and introduce myself. I'm Jeremy and I'm with TurnKey Linux. Great looking piece of software BTW.

Bottom line for us is that we'd love to have efa refactor to a Debian base so we could have efa in our appliance library! :D

As already mentioned, it would certainly expose efa to a wider audience and would increase options for end users on how and where they run your software. Obviously it seems that most of your users install as a local VM (VMware or Hyper-V) but TurnKey also has partnerships with a range of VPN/cloud hosts/providers from around the world which would then be options for your community/users.

To be completely transparent, ATM we do not have a Hyper-V VM build (so Hyper-V users would need to install from ISO until we rectify that). Also currently not all the code to produce all the build formats we provide is public. It is open source and we do plan to release it, but currently it is still in a big monolithic blob (which would would have already released except that it does include some sensitive info such as credentials) that we need to pull apart...

Even though it sounds like the initial refactoring work might be intensive, my suspicion is that once done then maintenance and update of images for your project would be reduced. Although obviously that's pure speculation as I know nothing about how things are done now... At least the image/OS build chain itself would be maintained (and updated) by someone else! Besides the multiple build formats and baked in smart backup, TurnKey images also include some other stuff that Linux beginners find handy such as Webmin preinstalled (Admin WebUI) and web based shell integration (so no SSH client required to do commandline tweaking and/or maintenance). Obviously you could install that stuff yourself, too but again, it's less stuff to maintain...

Having said all that, obviously the decision is up to you guys and your community and I'm certainly not trying to push you in a certain direction (well ok, actually I guess I sort of am; but I'm trying not to be pushy...!! :D )

Anyway, just wanted to say hi, and let you know that if you do decide to go the TKL path, then we are more than happy to help out how and where we can. Hit us up on our forums or email myself direct on jeremy at turnkeylinux.org

Cheers,
Jeremy Davis
TurnKey Linux