Mail not delivered

General eFa discussion
texnet-it

Mail not delivered

Post by texnet-it »

Hi,

Im having a few problems getting mail delivered to our internal mail servers/EFA receiving emails. I setup the domain to forward to our internal mail server under Delivery SMTP Servers however the emails never get here when we are using the EFA system in between external and internal server. I have tested the EFA system from a remote site with telnet on port 25 the EFA system responds with 220 ESMTP EFA www.efa-project.org so appears to be working however when i send an email from an external domain it never arrives i have to take the EFA system out of the loop then the emails come straight through. So its looks like the EFA system is not starting the receiving of the emails.

Thanks

David
texnet-it

Re: Mail not delivered

Post by texnet-it »

As an update i run a full test from telnet and got the following:

220 ESMTP EFA http://www.efa-project.org
ehlo mydomain.com
250-AntiSpam.mydomain.com
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 512000000
250-ETRN
250-STARTTLS
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250 DSN
MAIL FROM:admin@test.com
250 2.1.0 Ok
RCPT To:david@mydomain.com
450 4.1.2 <david@mydomain.com>: Recipient address rejected: Domain not found

Have replaced our domain name with mydomain.com but the domain is one of the listed domains on the system.

Thanks
David
texnet-it

Post by texnet-it »

Further to last post a while back when using a remote analyzer to test the connection it comes back with the following error.

Analyzing SMTP Capabilities for server mail.texnet-it.co.uk:25
The test passed with some warnings encountered. Please expand the additional details.

Additional Details

Unabled to determine SMTP capabilities. Reason: Authentication failed to the SMTP server.
Elapsed Time: 327 ms.
Attempting to send a test email message to user@texnet-it.co.uk using MX mail.texnet-it.co.uk.
Delivery of the test email message failed.

Additional Details

The server returned status code 450 - Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: 4.1.2 <user@texnet-it.co.uk>: Recipient address rejected: Domain not found
Exception details:
Message: Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: 4.1.2 <user@texnet-it.co.uk>: Recipient address rejected: Domain not found
Type: System.Net.Mail.SmtpFailedRecipientException
Stack trace:
at System.Net.Mail.SmtpTransport.SendMail(MailAddress sender, MailAddressCollection recipients, String deliveryNotify, Boolean allowUnicode, SmtpFailedRecipientException& exception)
at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message)
at Microsoft.Exchange.Tools.ExRca.Tests.SmtpMessageTest.PerformTestReally()
Elapsed Time: 595 ms.
darky83
Site Admin

Post by darky83 »

Hi David,

Domain not found means that either the domain configuration/forwarding is incorrect or the domain does not exists on the receiving mail server, authentication failed means that the spamfilter is unable to deliver the mails to the receiving mail server.

Because you mention that without the spamfilter the mail just get received I guess some sort of configuration error.
First make sure you followed all steps as described here: http://www.efa-project.org/faq/howto-configuration/ (Just double check to make sure)

Also make sure that you do not have any delivery restrictions configured on your receiving mail server (for example make sure that it is possible for the spam filter to send mails to the receiving mail server, I have seen it few times where the receiving mail server was also configure to allow outgoing mail for the internal network but it required authentication for all connections from within the internal office/dmz network making it impossible for the spam filter to deliver the mails.)

If that all seems to be okay, could you login to the spam filter using ssh and look at /var/log/mail.log when sending a mail?
(tail -f /var/log/mail.log)
Version eFa 4.x now available!