replacing complex client side filtering rule sets with server side processing

General eFa discussion
pdwalker

replacing complex client side filtering rule sets with server side processing

Post by pdwalker »

Hi All,

This is not really an efa question, but I thought maybe one of you may have a better idea on how to hand this

One of my users gets a tremendous amount of marketing email from all the mailing and marketing lists they are one. It basically swamps their inbox, almost to the point of unusability. Now a normal user would unsubscribe from the lists, but this person needs to keep this crap and look at it occasionally.

So what they do is maintain a very large list of mail rules in exchange/outlook for filtering this stuff into different folders. However, if you are familiar with outlook, maintaining these filtering rules is a pain in the ass, and it is hard to get an overview of what has already been included in the rule sets. These rules are almost entirely dependant on the senders email address or domain.

I was thinking of doing this processing server side where it would hopefully be easier to maintain. Mail from certain addresses/domains would be flagged somehow, then the client side rules would be much simpler - perhaps just a couple instead of the hundreds they now have.

I was thinking that I could use the mcp functionality, but that's also a bit clunky.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could manage this prefiltering/preclassification from the efa side before sending it to the user?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
pdwalker

Re: replacing complex client side filtering rule sets with server side processing

Post by pdwalker »

postfix header_checks?

e.g.

Code: Select all

/^From: .*info@example.com.*/ PREPEND X-MyFiltering: InfoMailingList
pdwalker

Re: replacing complex client side filtering rule sets with server side processing

Post by pdwalker »

Yes, that will do very nicely.

(Sorry for answering my own question, but sometimes asking the question leads me to the answer without expecting it)