[Solved - User Error] Emails not showing up in Recent Messages list

General eFa discussion
dreniarb

[Solved - User Error] Emails not showing up in Recent Messages list

Post by dreniarb »

I'm having trouble tracking down some missing messages. We should have received 3 emails from bluefield.edu but so far we've only received 1 to our inbox.

When I look at the SMTP logs on our mail server I can see the one message that we did receive coming in from EFA (192.168.13.2) at 9:22am:
Image_20180102153645574.png
Image_20180102153645574.png (16 KiB) Viewed 3657 times
However it is not showing up in the Recent Messages tab of mail scanner, the lists jumps from 9:19 to 9:40 when according to our mailserver logs EFA sent 4 emails during that time:
Image_20180102153813817.png
Image_20180102153813817.png (18.9 KiB) Viewed 3657 times
Which leads me to think that if that 4 messages that did in fact come through are not listed then it's possible that the other two that are missing should be in that list but are not. I'm worried they're getting marked or rejected as spam and I have on actions I can take on them.

I've even searched for "bluefield" in the "from domain contains" section under message operations but nothing comes up.

Even if the other 2 that are missing have in fact not come in yet I know without a doubt that EFA processed the one message at 9:22am along with 3 other emails. Any thoughts on why they are not showing up in my lists on mailscanner?
Last edited by dreniarb on 03 Jan 2018 12:41, edited 1 time in total.
shawniverson

Re: Emails not showing up in Recent Messages list

Post by shawniverson »

Without seeing a full /var/log/maillog in this time range, I can only speculate to the possible causes.

1) It somehow bypassed eFa (via another path altogether ... nothing would show in the mail log on eFa)
2) It somehow missed mailscanner (doubtful, unless your postfix is doing something besides HOLDing mail..maillog would show postfix conversation, but no mailscanner conversation)
3) It somehow missed the mailwatch logger (something happened, it went through mailscanner but nothing was logged....this would be visible in the maillog, but not in mailwatch)
dreniarb

Re: Emails not showing up in Recent Messages list

Post by dreniarb »

So this is slightly embarrassing... my mail server apparently did not properly fallback an hour a few months ago. So the time is off by an hour. The email came in at 8:22am, not 9:22am. The recent messages tab didn't have any messages back that far. Had I checked on it earlier I would have seen it in the list.

:oops:

Sorry for the confusion here. But perhaps this will help someone else...

Looking through the logs I did find another possible problem but will research it first and start another thread if it's an issue.

Thanks for your time with this.
pdwalker

Re: [Solved - User Error] Emails not showing up in Recent Messages list

Post by pdwalker »

Ahahhahahahahaahaa. *cough, hack, cough*. Hahahahhahahaa

There’s a lesson you won’t forget anytime soon. Glad you were able to find it.

Thanks for letting us know

PS: I detest daylight savings. All trouble for no benefit.

PPS: I laugh because of the number of times I’ve done silly things just like that.