[solved] Using an intermediate mail provider messes up my spamassassin scores

General eFa discussion
pdwalker

[solved] Using an intermediate mail provider messes up my spamassassin scores

Post by pdwalker »

Ok, I've a problem that I wonder if someone can help me solve.

I use an intermediate mail service that scans all my incoming mail for viruses (messagelabs.com). However one problem I have is that all mail, according to spamassassin, comes from them.

For example, take a recent message:
Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 14.51.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 14.51.png (80.97 KiB) Viewed 2294 times
Here's an annoying spam that the bayes classifier got right (I've added extra weighting to bayes since it does such a good job), but that the RCVD_IN_DNSWL_MED got wrong.

Here is the received path:
Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 14.53 1.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 14.53 1.png (27.19 KiB) Viewed 2294 times
The last two addresses are legitimate, but the first "received via" is the true culprit.

What I would like is for somehow to tell spamassassin to ignore any of the messagelabs addresses for the RBL checks.

Is there a simple way to do this? I don't just want to whitelist the addresses as I do get legitimate spam (heh!) from these addresses as I want to accept all spam and let EFA decide if it is really spam or not.

Any thoughts, hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by pdwalker on 14 Nov 2017 07:25, edited 1 time in total.
pdwalker

Re: Using an intermediate mail provider messes up my spamassassin scores

Post by pdwalker »

Sometimes, to ask the question is to find the answer to that question.

Spamassassin does support this functionality through the use of the "trusted_networks" parameter in the /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf file.

Adding in the messagelabs ip network ranges into this file causes their addresses to be ignored in the rbl checks.

Wunderbar!

References: