DCC Server Available - advantages?

General eFa discussion
ovizii

DCC Server Available - advantages?

Post by ovizii »

I read the announcement about EFA DCC servers being available and I read https://www.rhyolite.com/dcc/ but I'm failing to see what the advantage is to using this server versus the publicly available ones. Also, the DCC link I posted here mentions "DCC client-ID and corresponding password" so I fail to see the difference between the public DCC servers and this one.

Could someone please enlighten me?
shawniverson

Re: DCC Server Available - advantages?

Post by shawniverson »

It's just another DCC server available, and the eFa DCC server does not have a limit on free use for eFa systems.

It is up to you. A future version of eFa will likely have both "in the pool."
pdwalker

Post by pdwalker »

Think of it as gift to the EFA community.

Quick question, does marking things as spam contribute to the DCC database?
TheGr8Wonder

Post by TheGr8Wonder »

There are currently over 250 individual DCC servers within the framework. Out of those 250ish, only about 20 are public servers. Those 20ish servers handle over 500,000 individual clients each.

While yes there is a single DNS name being added to DCC, it corresponds to 4 individual servers.

DCC will function by searching all servers it knows (DCC1, DCC2, DCC3, DCC4, DCC5, .dcc-servers.net) and dcc.nova53.net, and will look at queue times and other factors, and will then route your message to the fastest server. Since the public servers are handling millions of messages a second, it is most likely your messages will land on the provided DCC servers, as there is a much lower usage associated with them. We also do not impose a 100k daily message limit on the servers.

In 3.0.2.5, we defaulted to use the 5 public names, and our own servers. There are options within EFA-Configure to...
1 - only use the DCC(x).DCC-SERVERS.NET (20 servers)
2 - only use DCC.NOVA53.NET (4 private servers)
3 - use all servers at same time (20 public and 4 private)

To answer pdwalker - it will not. DCC looks to see if a hash matches multiple messages. Meaning if Amazon sends out a blast for a new Echo product, DCC will see that as thousands of messages with the same hash, and it will constitute that message as bulk spam, and adding the appropriate score to it.
pdwalker

Post by pdwalker »

Ah, got it. So the more checksums requested, the more likely bulk mail is detected.