sender addresses containing bounce

General eFa discussion
jdeverse

sender addresses containing bounce

Post by jdeverse »

Hello all, I was hoping someone would have some experience on an issue I have with an EFA system running at the latest patch version.
It has to do with how messages show in the quarantine and consequently how whitelisting is affected.

For example, an email in the quarantine might have an actual sender of "enewsletters@fdanews.com"
However in the quarantine and message detail it will display the sender as: bounces+2088879-c659-bcerri=domain.com@publications.fdanews.com
and therefore, when the user clicks on the option to "Whitelist" the sender, the value that is actually added to the database is the long string above, which misses the target and adds confusion for the user when their whitelist doesn't work.

Super thanks to anyone who can offer insight into this.
DaN

Re: sender addresses containing bounce

Post by DaN »

Hi,

do you use an external smarthost for this receiving domain, or leads the mx entry to your internal mail server?
jdeverse

Post by jdeverse »

Hi thanks for the reply.
Hopefully this simple diagram will help with flow.

MX ----------> EFA appliance --------------> email server--------------> outbound mail

So outbound leaves the email server directly, and the domain MX record points to the EFA server A record.
DaN

Post by DaN »

At first i thought this viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1063&p=3473#p3473 (SPF Sender Rewriting Scheme (SRS))
Secondly i thought it's this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounce_message
jdeverse

Post by jdeverse »

Thanks, I'm reading over the documentation you provided and investigating the possible causes. I'll report back as soon as I have more information.

Super appreciate the help.