Always virus scan all messages?

General eFa discussion
Cybersmurfen

Always virus scan all messages?

Post by Cybersmurfen »

Recently we have had some problems with some users sending viruses. The problem is that some of them are whitelisted through SQL whitelist as I am using EFA as a send connector from Exchange as well as a spam filter to be able to track down mail more easy. From the beginning there was no whitelisting from the exchange server and as a result some messages sent by my users where listed as spam when sent from the mail filter.

Is there a way to actually do a virus scan on all messages regardless if they are whitelisted or not? This would be a good protection for the users and would also give them attention that they might have been infected, and also that would protect the receivers better.

I've tried to configure it through the Mailscanner.conf, but the only way what I can see it is not to whitelist anyone.

~Cybersmurfen
pdwalker

Re: Always virus scan all messages?

Post by pdwalker »

That's a good question.

I've a similar configuration, with the Exchange users whitelisted to prevent their messages from getting quarantined.

Typically, when users get infected with a program that sends junk, the malware tries to send mail directly. Since I block all outgoing mail except from the efa mail gateway, this isn't normally a problem. But what if some malware does use the registered mail server?

Hmm...
Cybersmurfen

Re: Always virus scan all messages?

Post by Cybersmurfen »

In this case, it's the users themselves through the malware/virus which are sending mail. And I must say it´s sofisticated.