any known networking issues with vm appliance?

Report bugs and workarounds
Blackbird

any known networking issues with vm appliance?

Post by Blackbird »

I have tried a few times now and I can get the VM imported, running and setup, and then after random amount of time the VM will act very strange. It will respond to pings but any other communcation is fubar. If I try to ssh it tells me the RSA key has changed, it will time out trying to contact the mail sever to deliver emails, the web interface won't respond, etc.. Then again after a random amount of time passes, everything will work again for a little while, then stop working again. Very unstable. Wondering if there is anything I could be doing wrong, something I could update in the VM to help, anything to get the appliance stable and actually feel its production worthy.

Thanks!
darky83
Site Admin

Re: any known networking issues with vm appliance?

Post by darky83 »

That sounds more like an issue with your VM host or you have the same IP used twice in the network.

But you can take a look at the console of the EFA machine then login as root and look at the logfiles in /var/log (messages might be a good candidate to look at) also check dmesg for any interface up/down error's.

What VMware version are you running by the way?
Version eFa 4.x now available!
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

I would agree with both, but the server also hosts an exchange server VM that is running perfectly fine, and I have verified no duplicate ip addresses.

/var/log/messages has nothing that sticks out and same with dmesg. Interface never goes down. I can have a constant ping going, no dropped packets.

is there a procedure to change the IP address? IE is it more than me editing the interface?

I am willing to give that whirl just to see.

my test emails just sit there in the queue and after a long while I get "timed out while receiving the initial server greeting"
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

oh and 5.1 for the version of ESX - the lastest - just built the box about 2 weeks ago.
darky83
Site Admin

Post by darky83 »

Just a wild option:

Run EFA-Configure as root

Then change the IP to something else in your network and change it back again.
Maybe it work :), but have to say that I have never seen this issue before in any linux based VM..

Also running 5.1 at a number of locations so that should not be any problem.
Version eFa 4.x now available!