Unable to parse the OVF file

Report bugs and workarounds
sem

Unable to parse the OVF file

Post by sem »

Just tried to get our sysadmin to import the OVF into Vsphere 4.1. The error Unable to parse the OVF file occurs and it won't import.
darky83
Site Admin

Re: Unable to parse the OVF file

Post by darky83 »

The hardware version from the OVF file is 8
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/micros ... Id=1003746

This means only the following versions are supported:
- ESXi 5.x
- Fusion 4.x
- Workstation 8.x
- Player 4.x

Your sysadmin can use vmware converter to change the OVF file to the older VMware 4.1 format.

I will keep this in mind and will create the 0.3 version with Hardware version 7 so older versions of vmware are still supported.

d.
Version eFa 4.x now available!
sem

Post by sem »

Thanks man! I'll let him know about converting. Do you have a roadmap for 0.3?
darky83
Site Admin

Post by darky83 »

Not really a roadmap but I expect to have 0.3 available within a month or so.
mostly small bugfixes and stability issies I found in 0.2 no major new features yet :)

d.
sem

Post by sem »

Do you think 0.2 is good enough for a production environment? BTW, did the steps in the looping post make sense?
darky83
Site Admin

Post by darky83 »

I am currently running it in production, and I know some others that also use it in production so it seems stable enough :)
I would recommend having some linux & mailscanner knowledge/experience before using it in a production environment as it is a new project I can't guarantee a flawless product.

(My current most busy system processes about 15000 messages a day and still havn' t found any critical bugs)

Your post made sense, I will take a look at it later on to see if i can reproduce and try to fix it.

d.
sem

Post by sem »

Thanks man!

Linux knowledge no problemo but mailscanner is new (to me). I shall read up some more. Ideally, we'd have a web frontended mail scanning appliance that generally doesn't need any messing around with the console as my time there is limited so it would be day-to-day administrated by people without experience. I probably made things worse taking the Postfix fixes learned from Zimbra over to EFA - I just didn't want to be in the postion of loosing any mail because the Exchange box wasn't playing ball.

sem
bbrendon

Post by bbrendon »

I just tried to install this into our main esx environment which is 4.x. I was on a 4.0.0 server and I got this error:

Code: Select all

Line 27: Unsupported hardware family 'vmx-08'.
I tried to change the line manually and it said the file was invalid. I'm thinking the ovf file is signed? Not sure.

We have a dev environment with esx 5 which I will install on for now.
cacchip

Post by cacchip »

I believe that you need ESX 5 for VMX-8 hardware.
darky83
Site Admin

Post by darky83 »

I added a note to the download page that the current VMware build requires ESX 5 or higher.
A next build will be done using a lower hardware number so ESX 4 is also supported.

d.