EFA 4 errors out on setup

Bugs in eFa 4
mag

EFA 4 errors out on setup

Post by mag »

Hi,

I installed a new minimal CentOS 8 machine (virtualized - proxmox) and installed EFA 4 on it. On first login, it asks whether I want to run the setup, which I do.

After answering all the questions and confirming my answers, it errors out when setting the machine hostname with the following:

Code: Select all

[eFa] If these settings are correct type 'OK' to continue.
[eFa] if there is an error enter the number you want to change.
[eFa] : OK
[eFa] - Starting MariaDB and Configuring
[eFa] - Configuring hostname and domainname
/usr/sbin/eFa-Commit: line 586: hostname: command not found
[eFa] - Error initializing system!  Please try again...
[root@efa ~]# which hostname
/usr/bin/which: no hostname in (/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/root/bin)
[root@efa ~]#
It looks like CentOS 8 does not contain the hostname command and instead uses hostnamectl

I can obviously work around this by modifying the eFa-commit file and changing it to use hostnamectl set-hostname
shawniverson

Re: EFA 4 errors out on setup

Post by shawniverson »

shawniverson

Post by shawniverson »

I'm trying to figure out how you achieved this state....This is a minimal install instance here....
Screenshot from 2020-11-01 09-15-41.png
Screenshot from 2020-11-01 09-15-41.png (8.56 KiB) Viewed 3007 times
mag

Post by mag »

I have no idea why hostname was not installed in the minimal installation
2020-11-01 12_04_47-root@_~.png
2020-11-01 12_04_47-root@_~.png (26.04 KiB) Viewed 3001 times
I have tried searching for some rationale or even to confirm that hostname is not included in the default install, but haven't had much success (difficult search terms don't help).

Thanks for looking into this so quickly though.
shawniverson

Post by shawniverson »

Is this a container?
mag

Post by mag »

I am using Proxmox (https://www.proxmox.com/en/) which is basically a virtualization frontend with lxc containers, so I suppose, then yes, this is a container (but not in the same sense as docker). I an using the standard CentOS minimal template which comes with Proxmox - centos-8-default_20191016_amd64.tar.xz
shawniverson

Post by shawniverson »

Ok, thanks! This helps me understand. I have made adjustments to use hostnamectl instead for CentOS 8, which is preferred anyway.
dangsite

Post by dangsite »

Shawn,
Yes LXC is a container.

To help give some more info.....
I was able to get eFa v4 (the latest build during my initial install on 16 Jan 2021. The base LXC was created using the proxmox LXC template for centOS 8 ( version 20201210 or centos-8-default_20201210_amd64.tar.xz ).

I manually installed hostname (dnf install hostname) to resolve the issue found within the hourly mailscanner cron job. For my other needs I added the packages 'less' and 'net-tools'.

While I migrated from eFa v3.0.2.6, I was able to migrate from a Virtual Guest to this LXC container.

My other observations:
  • Maxmind is working for the GeoIP
  • Malware Patrol was enabled and working. I changed the product code from 8 to 32.
  • This container boots (starts up) in minutes; for my LXC container it was less than 60 seconds.
  • As the LXC is running unprivileged, any message such as - Failed to reset devices.list: - will be normal for these unprivileged containers.
pfSense is the firewall in front of this container. There are rules for eFa-project to receive email (and send email).

It would be nice to offer or enable ACME's DNS-01 Challenge (as another option to HTTP-01 Challenge).