Mailscanner 5.3.4 bug

Bugs in eFa 4
ckirkwood

Mailscanner 5.3.4 bug

Post by ckirkwood »

Customer using a Groupwise mail server does not get addresses parsed correctly. Consequently mailscanner rejects message as malformed.
Example: joe@mail.com comes in as groupwise-joe@mail.com:1:1 , and thus gets tagged and whacked, returns an undeliverable to sender.
After downgrading to 5.3.3-1 and a permission repair mail is now flowing again.
------------ header from returned mail------------------
Reporting-MTA: dns; efa.mail.com
X-Postfix-Queue-ID: 4CQgFk47nZzBNBs2
X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; joe@mail.com
Arrival-Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2020 11:43:54 -0800 (PST)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; groupwise-Joe@mail.com:1:1
Original-Recipient: rfc822;groupwise-Joe@mail.com:1:1
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; bad address syntax
--=Part655B9640.0__Content-Type: message/rfc822
----------------------------------------------------------------

thank you EFA. Great app!!
FAP-RTI

Re: Mailscanner 5.3.4 bug

Post by FAP-RTI »

Hello,

we have experienced the same problem and thanks to you we have reverted to the previous version and it's working now.

This is the output from our automatic update:

/etc/cron.daily/0yum-daily.cron:

warning: /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf created as /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf.rpmnew
Added new: Web Bug Replacement = https://s3.amazonaws.com/msv5/images/spacer.gif
Added new: Lockfile Dir = /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/Locks
Added new: include /etc/MailScanner/conf.d/*

Summary
-------
Read 386 settings from old /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf.original
Used 384 settings from old /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf.original
Used 4 default settings from new /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf.dist

warning: /var/lib/unbound/root.key saved as /var/lib/unbound/root.key.rpmsave
warning: /etc/unbound/unbound.conf created as /etc/unbound/unbound.conf.rpmnew

Preparing to update eFa...
checkmodule: loading policy configuration from /var/eFa/lib/selinux/eFa.te
checkmodule: policy configuration loaded
checkmodule: writing binary representation (version 19) to /var/eFa/lib/selinux/eFa.mod
Update completed successfully!
The following updates will be applied on fap-mta01.emfa.pt:
================================================================================
Package Arch Version Repository Size
================================================================================
Updating:
MailScanner noarch 5.3.4-1.eFa.el7 eFa4 597 k
eFa noarch 1:4.0.3-12.eFa.el7 eFa4 104 k
unbound x86_64 1.11.0-1.eFa.el7 eFa4 927 k
unbound-libs x86_64 1.11.0-1.eFa.el7 eFa4 528 k
Installing for dependencies:
libtirpc x86_64 0.2.4-0.16.el7 base 89 k
python3 x86_64 3.6.8-13.el7 base 69 k
python3-libs x86_64 3.6.8-13.el7 base 7.0 M
python3-pip noarch 9.0.3-7.el7_7 updates 1.8 M
python3-setuptools noarch 39.2.0-10.el7 base 629 k

Transaction Summary
Install ( 5 Dependent packages)
Upgrade 4 Packages
The updates were successfully applied

This is what i see in the message listing, the system is adding that "groupwise-<emailaddress>:1:1 to every email.

04/11/20 11:22:51 vhmatos@emfa.pt groupwise-vitormatos02@gmail.com:1:1
shawniverson

Post by shawniverson »

shawniverson

Post by shawniverson »

This isn't really a bug but appears to be a violation of RFC on part of Groupwise.

Doing some research. MailScanner is going to need to workaround the violation.

https://info-ims.arnold.narkive.com/GtK ... -extension
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1891
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3461
shawniverson

Post by shawniverson »

Yanked from production until we can get this fixed.
shawniverson

Post by shawniverson »

Anyone affected...

Code: Select all

sudo yum downgrade MailScanner
sudo chown postfix:mtagroup /var/spool/MailScanner/milterin
sudo chown postfix:mtagroup /var/spool/MailScanner/milterout
BSajovic

Post by BSajovic »

Just wanted to report the same.

My investigation shows that after receiving mail from Groupwise (if Groupwise has DSN enabled) Mailscanner after scanning tries to pass mail to address found in ORCPT instead in TO.
I temporarily solved issue (have EFA in front of GW) with disabling DSN on Groupwise.
However, If we will get mail from outside Groupwise that has DSN enabled, it will be denied as undeliverable to groupwise-name.surname@mail.com:1:1

I am reporting issue to Microfocus, but anyway if EFA solves it (too) I would appreciate it.
goldengate

Post by goldengate »

Concerned and interested in what others are seeing. We are running MailScanner 5.3.4 on Postfix as our outer filter and GroupWise 18.2.1 with DSN enabled on GWIA on the inside. GWIA is configured to relay through MailScanner. Checking our Postfix/MailScanner logs, I am not seeing the errors others are. If I filter the log on DSN, I see 62 entries in today's log both inbound and outbound to and from GWIA to MailScanner with the correct email address, no "groupwise-" appended and when I look at the properties of the email I sent today, it says "Transferred" as usual. Both our MailScanner and GW environments are upgrades from old origins though, so there may be things in the config files I have forgotten.
sgpl

Post by sgpl »

same here

We are using MailScanner in front of Exchange and getting this problem when partners send with Groupwise.
Downgrade MailScanner to 5.3.3 is a workaround.
BSajovic

Post by BSajovic »

goldengate wrote: 12 Nov 2020 02:16 Concerned and interested in what others are seeing. We are running MailScanner 5.3.4 on Postfix as our outer filter and GroupWise 18.2.1 with DSN enabled on GWIA on the inside. GWIA is configured to relay through MailScanner. Checking our Postfix/MailScanner logs, I am not seeing the errors others are. If I filter the log on DSN, I see 62 entries in today's log both inbound and outbound to and from GWIA to MailScanner with the correct email address, no "groupwise-" appended and when I look at the properties of the email I sent today, it says "Transferred" as usual. Both our MailScanner and GW environments are upgrades from old origins though, so there may be things in the config files I have forgotten.
Do you have DSN enabled on groupwise ?
If you do not, then mail goes as normal. If you do, then you will have problem. So you will have it if someone will send you mail form DSN enabled Groupwise ...
shawniverson

Post by shawniverson »

Please update to resolve this issue. I have released 4.0.3-13 to resolve this and other related issues.

viewtopic.php?f=8&p=16901
goldengate

Post by goldengate »

BSajovic wrote: 13 Nov 2020 09:39
goldengate wrote: 12 Nov 2020 02:16 Concerned and interested in what others are seeing. We are running MailScanner 5.3.4 on Postfix as our outer filter and GroupWise 18.2.1 with DSN enabled on GWIA on the inside. GWIA is configured to relay through MailScanner. Checking our Postfix/MailScanner logs, I am not seeing the errors others are. If I filter the log on DSN, I see 62 entries in today's log both inbound and outbound to and from GWIA to MailScanner with the correct email address, no "groupwise-" appended and when I look at the properties of the email I sent today, it says "Transferred" as usual. Both our MailScanner and GW environments are upgrades from old origins though, so there may be things in the config files I have forgotten.
Do you have DSN enabled on groupwise ?
If you do not, then mail goes as normal. If you do, then you will have problem. So you will have it if someone will send you mail form DSN enabled Groupwise ...
Yes as my description indicated, we have DSN enabled and are not seeing this problem.
GG