Rocky Linux 8

Request and discuss new features you would like to have.
VAXman65

Rocky Linux 8

Post by VAXman65 »

With Rocky Linux (https://rockylinux.org/) arriving as the heir to the CentOS mantle (downstream community edition), will eFa be supporting this distribution?
driesp

Re: Rocky Linux 8

Post by driesp »

I've been able to install it on Rocky Linux 8.

You need to modify the file /etc/redhat-release,
change the word 'Rocky' with 'CentOS' before running the installer.

The install works fine on my Rocky.
shawniverson

Post by shawniverson »

Guess you are the guinnea pig :lol:

Let me know how it goes and I can modify eFa to detect Rocky.
banym

Post by banym »

Would love to see the installer working with Rocky Linux aswell.
hunter-nl

Post by hunter-nl »

shawniverson wrote: 09 Sep 2021 10:19 Guess you are the guinnea pig :lol:

Let me know how it goes and I can modify eFa to detect Rocky.
I've upgraded from CentOS 8 to Rocky 8.4 and 8.5. eFa4 works great. No issues. This is much easier upgrade/migration path then moving to debian. And Rocky 8 is with support until "Planned EOL: 31st May 2029".
The eFa installer script needs an addition to detect Rocky as OS and update eFa4 repo url to update CentOS in Rocky.
shawniverson

Post by shawniverson »

Coming right up, I'll make the necessary changes.
jheffez

Post by jheffez »

Hi,
Any idea when we'll be able to use the new OS?
shawniverson

Post by shawniverson »

eFa4 has been updated to detect and install on Rocky 8.

https://efa-project.org/download/
dangsite

Re: Rocky Linux 8 or 9??

Post by dangsite »

Has anyone tried Rocky 9?

I was planning to my efa server over to Rocky during the Thanksgiving Break (US).
shawniverson

Post by shawniverson »

eFa is not ready for v9 OSes yet. I have to do some work there.
dangsite

Post by dangsite »

Thank you for a reply on version 9.
sergiupapuc

Post by sergiupapuc »

Hello,

Is there eFa ready for Ricky 9?
amaclach

Post by amaclach »

I tried it on Stream 9 and it broke spectacularly... So I'm going to say no.
I've been getting pretty annoyed with a bunch of broken stuff in the redhat stack - just simple stuff like adding users to the OS on a clean install throws up error that have persisted for years.
I've been using Debian 12 for another project and I've actually grown to like it - it's a really polished distro.
Anyway - I'm currently having a crack at building eFa (or something like it) on Debian 12 at the moment...
I'm happy with the base build (I've cooked the likes of fail2ban into it - it's not optional - same goes for UFW, OpenDKIM and OpenDMARC) for my own needs It'll scan mail bi-directionally, so will take care of the DKIM on outgoing mails.
The entire stack is going to be the same as eFa, but I won't be building the likes of Webmin into it by default - this is going to be driven from the CLI for now, but will have MailWatch of course. Of course it can be refined and made easier to use / menu driven later, but I don't want to have too many decisions to be made on the build & setup.
I love everything about eFa, but it's just a shame that the underlying RH platform is messy.
Anyway I'll do what I can and make everything available to Shawn as the owner of eFa, and he can decide what to do with it moving forward.
When I built ESVA almost 20 years ago I had no idea that it would still be going this long (albeit forked and reincarnated). That's down to the amazing community...
amaclach

Post by amaclach »

Just one more thing - These kind of projects are run by people on a voluntary basis - no-one is getting rich from something that no-one pays for. We all have day jobs, some of us run our own businesses and this is all in everyone's spare time, or whatever is shared by people making changes for their own requirements.
mshanley

Post by mshanley »

amaclach,
You are right and it allows many of us to learn more about things and help out where we can.. it is really cool you helping out
debian 12 :clap: and testing this.... how did it go?
I played a little with the old ESVA way back when.. and the early versions of EFA.. It has came a long way. I think its helped many of us at least have some sort of protection and gain knowledge but also have some ability to tweak things the way we want. :)
amaclach

Post by amaclach »

Well Debian 12 works great, but what I have ended up with doesn't really resemble ESVA or EFA.
No Mailwatch, No MailScanner, No Quarantine, No WebMin, No Greylisting, no MySQL, no GUI...

It's a distributed system with the capability to have many parallel nodes so pretty scalable with no SPOF.
goldengate

Post by goldengate »

I have been idly considering how to migrate our small efa host from CentOS 7 to Rocky 8. The migration steps to a clean new host being somewhat undocumented (viewtopic.php?t=4897) I have been looking at options for live upgrade (possibly using a clone of our current environment to test first). AlumLinux Elevate (https://almalinux.org/elevate/) seems to get good reviews as a way to go directly from CentOS 7 to any of several distros, including Rocky 8.

It almost seems that the process could be down to pulling the efa4.repo out of /etc/yum.repos.d, run the Elevate upgrade, possibly side upgrade MariadB to 10.4 if this issue still exists (viewtopic.php?t=5254) then re-enable the efa4.repo update. This seems to avoid the process of upgrading into CentOS Stream, and from there to Rocky.

Has anyone tried this? Thoughts welcome.
amaclach

Post by amaclach »

goldengate wrote: 18 Nov 2023 00:00 I have been idly considering how to migrate our small efa host from CentOS 7 to Rocky 8.
Honestly, I'd do a parallel install, then cut over... That migration sounds like it's way too much work...