An Idea for a great plugin

Request and discuss new features you would like to have.
nicola.piazzi

An Idea for a great plugin

Post by nicola.piazzi »

I am unable to do it but I have an idea to make a great plugin :

Efa must add message number to outbound messages so external people receive into something like a disclaimer

Efa retain a db of 30 days of these codes

When someone reply to messages obviously is real people that interact with us and we find the code so :
1) we give a extra score bonus to message
2) Use message to populate bayes and txrep

:D
pdwalker

Re: An Idea for a great plugin

Post by pdwalker »

Interesting idea, so I had a look to see if anyone else has thought of this.

There is/was a spamassassin plugin called "In-Reply-To" that is unfortunately no longer maintained and the original website no longer exists.

Well, to the wayback machine then! Here is the: archived version, the download link (works) and the documentation.

Assuming that the plugin is not too broken after all this time, someone should be able to customize, or rewrite this to use as a new spamassassin check.

Does anyone here have any skill with spamassassin plugins?
pdwalker

Post by pdwalker »

Looking a little more closely at MailScanner, I can see that the message ids are not stored in a useful format, so to make a feature like this possible we would either have to:

- change mail scanner to store the Message-IDs (Message-ID: (.*)) into the database that we could then query
or
- implement our own method of storing message ids to check against
or
- or implement a very ugly and inefficient wildcard query to search for the Message-ID in either mtalog.status or maillog.headers with the former being preferable.

With that information available, it should be almost trivial to adapt the plugin
nicola.piazzi

Post by nicola.piazzi »

This code check only In-Reply-To: <MESSAGENUMBER@example.com> in header
I found that very few answered messages have this header
A solution is to ADD MESSAGENUMBER also as disclaimer in the text so we have anoter chance to find and test it
pdwalker

Post by pdwalker »

There is also the References: header that should also contain the message id.

And yes, some email clients will not use the headers correctly. That's ok. It just means we treat the messages as normal and do the normal checks.

Doing the header checks is relatively easy. Modifying the message to leave the message id will require a bigger change to MailScanner - probably by using the Inline HTML Signature and Inline Text Signature options.

I'll have to ask the mailscanner people how easy/hard this would be.