How best to upgrade eFa to new server OS version

Questions and answers about how to do stuff
VAXman65

How best to upgrade eFa to new server OS version

Post by VAXman65 »

My current eFa installation is running v4.0.4-26 on CentOS 7.9. My plan is to replace this server instance with a new one running Rocky Linux v8.5. In principle, I would build the new server instance with Rocky Linux v8.5, install the eFa software on it, then migrate across all the settings and data from the existing system running CentOS v7.9.

I did see the Wiki doc for https://wiki.efa-project.org/doku.php?i ... m_v3_to_v4 which kinda-sorrta is what I want to do, except that the starting point is a v4 system not a v3 system. Given that difference, should that procedure work for carrying out my migration to a new server instance with the new OS but same eFa version?

-- Peter
shawniverson

Re: How best to upgrade eFa to new server OS version

Post by shawniverson »

The steps are roughly the same here. This would make for a good wiki article on how to migrate from one instance to another.
lhevia

Post by lhevia »

My current install uses eFa-4.0.4 over Centos 7. It was installed originally as 4.0.1 some years ago and has been updated regularly.
Now I want to deploy a new server with Rocky Linux 8.8 and I am following the Wiki doc for https://wiki.efa-project.org/doku.php?i ... m_v3_to_v4 but when I make the restore the process fail.
Apparently the user "mysql.user" does not exist, causes a lot of errors and finally says "FATAL ERROR: Upgrade failed".
Any idea will be welcomed.
VAXman65

Post by VAXman65 »

Check out my entries Migration failure CentOS 7 to Rocky 8 - restore from backup fails with mariadb [SOLVED] I write there an approach that worked for me.
In a nutshell, running CentOS 7 with a current version of eFa resulted in the origin installation being quietly upgraded to MariaDB version 10.4.25. However, Rocky Linux 8 is not using that version of MariaDB; by default, Rocky Linux 8 AppStream repos provides MariadDB 10.3. This is a big deal because of the security changes that occurred with MariaDB 10.4 and later.