Forwarding rule to external address and change of sender address

Questions and answers about how to do stuff
dwmp

Forwarding rule to external address and change of sender address

Post by dwmp »

Hello,

I have another question: we need the following process:
incoming mail sent to a specific mail address should be sent to a mailbox on our mail server. In addition such emails shall also be forwarded to an external mail-address automatically (e.g. mails to test@companyname.com should automatically be forwarded to 123@externaldomain.com).
I can setup this scenario with our mail server, the problem is:
our mail server cannot change the sender address => it tries to send emails with the sender address of the origin sender => mails are being blocked because of SPF failure.
So my question is: can I configure something like a forwarding rule in EFA, that emails sent to a specific address are automatically forwarded to an external address AND the sender address is changed to one within our domain?
That would be very helpful.
Thanks

BR
dwmp
pdwalker

Re: Forwarding rule to external address and change of sender address

Post by pdwalker »

This feature is not a feature of EFA, but rather your mail server.

What mail server do you use?
dwmp

Post by dwmp »

That's what I feared, thanks anyway.
We have Exchange. But there is no option to change the sender address (at least not in our environment).

Thanks.
pdwalker

Post by pdwalker »

Actually, that should be possible. I'll investigate.

There may be a few ways this may be done:

1/ you can allow the exchange user Y to "send as X", thus the email from user Y will have an address of X - manual process though.

2/ possibly the transport rules in exchange server may allow rewriting? Needs verification

3/ If you use EFA to send out your mail from Exchange server, then it should be possible to create a rule under postfix to rewrite the outgoing mail for that user - almost certainly can be done, just need to work out how to do it.

A few more questions:

a/ What version of exchange are you using?

b/ Do all emails from user Y have to be rewritten to user X? Under what circumstances should an address be rewritten? It's kinda important to know how to write the rule.

There's still hope!