NEW SETUP IDEA, NEED TO KNOW IF ITS POSSIBLE

Questions and answers about how to do stuff
orm1server

NEW SETUP IDEA, NEED TO KNOW IF ITS POSSIBLE

Post by orm1server »

Hey Guys, new here, started with Xeams free due to hosting restrictions (i have a dynamic residential ip) so i used AWS to host xeams on a windows server os and everything is working absolutely amazing, except for the incoming cost for xeams. I am a hardcore windows guy (i know, i know) but everytime i use Linux/Unix i break something without even knowing it and want to pull my hair out.

Any ways this is my idea. I have a static public IP with AWS but i cant load the EFA virtual appliance into aws and i cant virtualize inside a already virtualized AWS. So i have a home server that I would like to host EFA on, but would like all inbound and outbound emails to go thru a smarthost (i think thats the term) hosted elsewhere (so it has a valid non residential public IP). This set up is strictly for friends and family (at this point for learning purposes). I may be open to a low cost smtp relay/smarthost but would much prefer to host on WINDOWs a smtp relay(smarthost) service.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible, why i should and shouldnt do it, how i might go about it? I've scowered the web and havent found anything solid. Also if anyone has a suggestion for a windows based smtp relay/smarthost that would be amazing

Thanks in advance guys,
Steve
henk

Re: NEW SETUP IDEA, NEED TO KNOW IF ITS POSSIBLE

Post by henk »

To get the idea, I'm a bit lost in the translation to Dutch. Could be me, having my regular bad day. :doh:
I am a hardcore windows guy (i know, i know) but everytime i use Linux/Unix i break something without even knowing it and want to pull my hair out.
Somehow moving from Windows to Linux stopped my hair loss. Now I remember why :shifty:
Without some basic Linux skills it's mission impossible, I think.
This set up is strictly for friends and family (at this point for learning purposes)
Try to setup EFA on AWS for friends and family For real?
Did you think about how to connect (SSH) using the generated certificate for the AWS user on creation? As root (or any other user) access will never work?
why i shouldnt do it
The DNC mail server was low cost too. The fast path to get rid off friends and family.
“We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works.” -Douglas Adams
shawniverson

Post by shawniverson »

Yes it is possible on AWS, but you need to build it on AWS using this process:

https://github.com/E-F-A/v3/blob/master ... build.bash

This will enable SSH to allow a remote build to occur in the Cloud.
orm1server

Post by orm1server »

Hey thats awsome! Thank you, will definitely look into that.
hiandras

Post by hiandras »

Hi,

I used the script to install EFA on a new VM.
It was successful, but seems to be a little different when using the virtual appliance image:

An ssh login would not run the EFA Configuration program.
So I had to add

if ! [ -z "$PS1" ]; then
sudo /usr/local/sbin/EFA-Configure
fi

to the .bashcr file manually.

Regards,
hiandras