Any workaround for no DNS available?

Questions and answers about how to do stuff
dturbo

Any workaround for no DNS available?

Post by dturbo »

Hi all,

I have a network which is not directly connected to the internet, and as such cannot send out DNS queries. All our traffic is proxied through squid - there is other traffic such as MRP system etc, however this is fine as it only needs to traverse the VPN to our parent site where such systems are hosted. I have no other need for local DNS queries other than Active Directory for local network systems. I appreciate that some of the functionality of EFA requires DNS lookups, however I would still like to use the product for it's other capabilities, even without the ability to use DNS blacklists etc. Problem is that I can't even get past the initial configuration stage, as the attempt to resove the EFA site fails, and terminates the init process.

Is there anyway to get round this? I have seen a post in this section about updating from behind a proxy, which looks ideal for my needs, but I can't get to that stage. Is the only way to try to get access to an internet facing nameserver?

Cheers
dturbo

Re: Any workaround for no DNS available?

Post by dturbo »

I did a bodge to get the installation process to complete - just added a zone to my DNS and added an entry for efa-project.org in there. Remains to be seen if I can still utilise the functionality of the other modules without non local DNS being available.

Cheers
BDKaatz

Post by BDKaatz »

As a note, you can use the /etc/hosts file to take care of the DNS entries you need to keep track of for the local system.

Take a look at this post at the Wiki on LinuxQuestions.org.

Hope that helps. Let us know.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with
sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."

-- Galileo Galilei
cdburgess75

Post by cdburgess75 »

For incoming use only, you need to cache DNS locally and query parent DNS periodically or manually enter a /etc/hosts for you needs. I don't even wanna ask why :) However curios. But is currently more than what you mention that req DNS. RBLs/Clam/etc ... for lookups beyond updates to scan incoming messages properly. If you are using EFA to scan outgoing smtp traffic (great option by the way) the features are there, you will need DNS to survive emailing someone beyond what you local "blind" DNS and cents host file:) Is that a cool description? "Blind DNS"

/dave