[HELP] Email delays

Questions and answers about how to do stuff
Justin

[HELP] Email delays

Post by Justin »

Hi there,

I'm currently getting a lot of complaints about user with delayed email.
Senders send an email at 9:12, and is received at 12:47 in the customers Exchange box
Also an email of 17:32 which arrives at 19:05 and one more of 12:31 which arrived at 17:06

Any idea if this can be solved?
Could it be a bug/issue with Greylist or something?
darky83
Site Admin

Re: [HELP] Email delays

Post by darky83 »

From which service do those people send their mails?

We noticed that services like office365 and google mail do not always use the same IP to send the mail for a second time when greylisting temporary blocks them.

So for example we had a mail from office 365 a while back which was denied about 9 times by greylisting because office 365 used a different mailserver to retry the mail every time, eventually (after about 3 hours) the mail arrived from one of the previous servers.

So for troubleshooting it might be an idea to disable greylisting for a while, my best guess is that this might also be the issue you are seeing.
Version eFa 4.x now available!
Justin

Post by Justin »

darky83 wrote:From which service do those people send their mails?

We noticed that services like office365 and google mail do not always use the same IP to send the mail for a second time when greylisting temporary blocks them.

So for example we had a mail from office 365 a while back which was denied about 9 times by greylisting because office 365 used a different mailserver to retry the mail every time, eventually (after about 3 hours) the mail arrived from one of the previous servers.

So for troubleshooting it might be an idea to disable greylisting for a while, my best guess is that this might also be the issue you are seeing.
This seems like the issue, since i see a lot of the same mail adresses in Greylist, with other IP addresses.
How do i disable greylist?
pdwalker

Post by pdwalker »

I wouldn't. The problem is only temporary. After a time, the ip addresses will all be in the greylist and there will be no future problem.

greylisting, for me, reduces a lot of the spam I might otherwise receive. it's worth the hassle.

You can also keep an eye on the incoming pending greylists and whitelist those yourself. (I didn't)
Justin

Post by Justin »

pdwalker wrote:I wouldn't. The problem is only temporary. After a time, the ip addresses will all be in the greylist and there will be no future problem.

greylisting, for me, reduces a lot of the spam I might otherwise receive. it's worth the hassle.

You can also keep an eye on the incoming pending greylists and whitelist those yourself. (I didn't)
Problem is, mostly customers get 1 or 2 order-emails from a company and thats it. But they miss the email since it delays for 4~5 hours.
Keeping an eye on the greylist would take a lot of time since i have more to do :doh:

Will keep an eye on this for now
pdwalker

Post by pdwalker »

Fair enough. That's a valid reason to disable greylisting.
cdburgess75

Post by cdburgess75 »

There was another thread here that gave an example of how to bypass/disable greylisting for all office365 servers. But I did not follow it that well. I need to do the same thing, we have the exact issue. Here it is:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1733
Justin

Post by Justin »

Is it a possibility to Disable Greylist for one of our mail domains?