How to disable kam.cf

Questions and answers about how to do stuff
toddh

How to disable kam.cf

Post by toddh »

The kam.cf file is causing a lot of FPs and we would like to disable it. I dont see it in the mailscanner or spamassassin config files, but adminitatly I may not be looking in the correct spot.

Can someone tell me how to disable this so that it is not run. Also how to remove it so that the file is not downloaded/updated in the future.

Thanks,

Todd
DaN

Re: How to disable kam.cf

Post by DaN »

nothing here
Last edited by DaN on 03 Feb 2016 12:30, edited 3 times in total.
shawniverson

Post by shawniverson »

You can disable kam...

1) Remove KAM.cf from /etc/mail/spamassassin

2) edit /etc/cron.daily/EFA-Daily-cron and comment out the following line:

Code: Select all

#/usr/local/sbin/EFA-SA-Update -cron >> /var/log/EFA/EFA-SA-Update.log 2>&1
Note that future updates may revert this change.
toddh

Post by toddh »

Thanks Shawn.

I added an exception to the local.cf for the kam_address that was triggering a high number of FPs. We may go further and totally disable the kam.cf. It contains references to Houston high rise building that contain hundreds of business. In it's current state kam.cf is adding weight 2x the Hold for legitimate address listings that are entirely too generic.

We contacted the author Kevin A. McGrail but had gotten no response in several days.

Todd
ovizii

Post by ovizii »

Just wanted to add that inside: /usr/local/sbin/EFA-SA-Update I see the download URL: http://www.peregrinehw.com/downloads/Sp ... rib/KAM.cf which seems to then redirect to https://www.pccc.com/downloads/SpamAssa ... rib/KAM.cf so I guess that should be updated in a future EFA version.
The original URL returns: Status: HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
shawniverson

Post by shawniverson »

kmcgrail

Post by kmcgrail »

All,

I came across this forum recently and noted the complaint about KAM.cf. We are typically very responsive about FPs so it must have been overlooked.

And yes, I believe we found the issue with the address rule many moons ago so would love to hear about current FPs.

As noted in the cf file, https://raptor.pccc.com/raptor.cgim?tem ... rt_problem is the best way to reach us especially since emailing about spam issues can run afoul of filters, etc.

I'm glad you find the work useful. We are quite proud of it and love supporting open source project to stop bastard spammers.

Regards,
Kevin A. McGrail (aka KAM)
Apache SpamAssassin Chair Emeritus
shawniverson

Post by shawniverson »

kmcgrail wrote: 14 Apr 2017 11:59 I'm glad you find the work useful. We are quite proud of it and love supporting open source project to stop bastard spammers.

Regards,
Kevin A. McGrail (aka KAM)
Apache SpamAssassin Chair Emeritus
Greetings and thank you for your kind words and support! :dance: