Transparent filtering

Questions and answers about how to do stuff
netwayweb

Transparent filtering

Post by netwayweb »

Hi All,
We are presently using ASSP, where ASSP is handing incoming mail filtering for multiple servers in transparent way, without adding domains in its configuration. The ASSP configuration allow us to use route based on mails received on a particular ip address.

Is it possible for EFA to handle mails for several servers without adding domains, with multiple public ip addresses?

Many Thanks
pdwalker

Re: Transparent filtering

Post by pdwalker »

Handle mail for multiple servers for multiple domains for multiple public ips? Sure, but you'll have to configure the domain list, as it is not a transparent proxy.

I've tried ASSP, and while I like some of the features, it was such a bloody painful and unfriendly install, I decided I didn't want the hassle of dealing with such horrible software in the future.

How often are you changing domains/servers anyway? It it really going to be such a problem to update your settings when you need to? For thousands of domains with multiple updates, I'd say yes, but a few minutes scripting could automate that away for you.
netwayweb

Post by netwayweb »

Actually there are thousands of domains and the newer ones are getting added every now and then (Shared Hosting).

We have been using ASSP since many years, although it seems to be too hard and complex to install and configure however it is not. Once you become familiar, it does not take more than 20-30 minutes do a fresh install and configuration. It is working nicely except for an issue which is not getting resolved which is why looking for alternatives.
pdwalker

Post by pdwalker »

As I said, you could script it, but that's a lot less ideal than a transparent proxy in this case.

As for ASSP, it requires a specific combination of perl packages to install, that either come from installing mcpan modules, or prebuilt packages, and you never know which ones you should use until you try it for that particular distribution and version. Oh, and be careful when you upgrade because you'd end up in dependency hell. (Yes, yes, test before upgrading). That's just too damn finicky and potentially too fragile. It's not a sign of good design.

Have you offered a donation to the ASSP developers as an incentive to get your particular problem resolved? I don't know of any other transparent proxies you could use. Maybe someone else might have a suggestion. A barracuda box perhaps?