on the fly aliasing

Questions and answers about how to do stuff
villainvivi

on the fly aliasing

Post by villainvivi »

Is it possible to setup on the fly aliasing for my users with an AD integrated configuration? For example, I use a commercial service that will allow me to sign up for a site by using a crafted email address:

user.site@domain.com.

It then delivers the mail to user@domain.com

If the sender sells my email and I get spam that goes to the address user.site@domain.com. I can go in and turn that address off and it will stop all mails coming to that crafted email.

I'm trying to find something that will work similarly so that I can move away from their service and was hoping EFA would be a way to do that.
DaN

Re: on the fly aliasing

Post by DaN »

In case of using a commercial service:

Could you make a mail redirection on the commercial service site?

user.serviceORsite@domain.com. (redirects to) user@domain.com -> EFA -> mail server

If you don't wish to receive mails for user.serviceORsite@domain.com., delete the mail redirection.
villainvivi

Post by villainvivi »

I need to replace the commercial service because I no longer work for the company that provided it to me.

I found the following, but am wondering how I can make it work most effectively for me:

http://superuser.com/questions/353488/r ... in-postfix

I don't want to have to create a new line in my aliases file for each user I create on my Exchange server (though I could if necessary, it would just be time consuming).

Thanks!
darky83
Site Admin

Post by darky83 »

You should see this the 'otherway'..

Your mailserver should have all functionality build in to allow mail addresses for user.<randomcraft>@domain.com.
That is not really a spam filter item, its mailserver functionality.

Gmail has this functionalty build in, you can use <username>.<whateveryouwant>@domain.com and it is all aliased to <username>@domain.com

as a side note:
It is a bit of an 'old fashioned' way of using your mail, instead the spam filter should block all unwanted mails.
I used the same methode years ago but stopped using it all together, E.F.A. is working good enough to block off all unwanted mail.
Version eFa 4.x now available!
villainvivi

Post by villainvivi »

Darky,

understandable. I guess I didn't clarify what I use this for. It's typically in the event I sign up for a website and they sell/release my email address elsewhere. Basically, if I get an email to user.beer@mydomain.com. but it's an ad for something other than the place I used that email, I can just kill all messages coming to that address by deleting the alias (not sure how I'm going to accomplish the removal part quite yet, still working on that).
shawniverson

Post by shawniverson »

You can create and kill off aliases in your mail server anytime your want....EFA won't care unless you are using recipient filters. Even then you could sync your emails and aliases with a script, depending on where they are stored.
villainvivi

Post by villainvivi »

That's the thing, I don't want to have to create them manually each time, and i don't want to do it on the mail server. I'd rather it it be done by the gateway, since it's possible with regex in postfix to do it. I just wanted to see how it would work with EFA and if it would be a possibility.
shawniverson

Post by shawniverson »

Well, if it is possible in postfix, then it should be possible in EFA (EFA uses postfix)...
pdwalker

Post by pdwalker »

villainvivi wrote:since it's possible with regex in postfix to do it. I just wanted to see how it would work with EFA and if it would be a possibility
How do you get it working in postfix, and were you able to get it working with EFA?
villainvivi

Post by villainvivi »

unfortunately, I haven't had much time to work on it due to a new job and house hunting.

I plan on starting back into it this evening and if I can get it figured out over the next few days, I'll let you know.