Weird issue with apache@mydomain.com sending email to users outside my domain.

Report bugs and workarounds
mjholl2006

Weird issue with apache@mydomain.com sending email to users outside my domain.

Post by mjholl2006 »

So recently I have noticed when I get email through E.F.A that has mutiple users listed that I will see an entry in mailwatch similar to this:
efa.JPG
efa.JPG (82.14 KiB) Viewed 4534 times
Edit: I also added a link to Imggur so you see the photo a little better. I realized that the photo inline is hard to see.
http://imgur.com/0qfbjjw

It creates almost like a round robin affect where users will get an email, get the message to release it, and then get this message again. Has anyone else experience this? Anyone have a recommended solution? Is this by design or is this actually a bug?

I'll be around all night if I can provide more information. It's not specific to Hyper-V or VMware either. Thanks
shawniverson

Re: Weird issue with apache@mydomain.com sending email to users outside my domain.

Post by shawniverson »

You didn't happen to whitelist your domain, did you?

If so, anyone from the outside could spoof your domain and relay mail.

I recommend only whitelisting 127.0.0.1 and the IP(s) of your internal email server(s)
mjholl2006

Re: Weird issue with apache@mydomain.com sending email to users outside my domain.

Post by mjholl2006 »

I never saw this reply, but no I didn't whitelist my domain, and the only thing in my whitelist is the default:
FROM 127.0.0.1 TO DEFAULT
shawniverson

Post by shawniverson »

Whats your mynetworks entry in postfix?

EFA-Configure
8) Mail Settings --> 1) Outbound Mail Relay

Just want to make sure you are not an open relay.

Also, run an open relay test on your EFA.

http://mxtoolbox.com/diagnostic.aspx

What is throwing me is that you should never see anything coming from apache@yourdomain.com, unless...

What is your normal user account name on your appliance? Does it happen to be "apache"?
Rapid

Post by Rapid »

We have been facing same issue. Our EFA is configured to receive incoming mail from world and relay it to our Email Server(with mailboxes). However, few mails are delivered on behalf of apache@mydomain.com to not only our local users but also delivered to external domain recipient in TO field which is strange. Logically EFA should not delivered mail to other domain email addresses who are in TO/CC.
Further, usually {Spam not delivered} mails are delivered from postmaster@mydomain.com ID to local users but i donot understand why emails have been delivered on behalf of apache@mydomain.com.

Kindly assist.
NOTE:
1- We have not whitelisted our domain in EFA. We have total 8 domains configured on EFA. Our /var/www/html/mailscanner/conf.php contains (define('MAILWATCH_FROM_ADDR', 'postmaster@mydomain.com');)

2- Our Mail Setting 1) outbound Mail Relay has our Email Server's IP where users mailboxes are present.