3005 and 3006 update HYPERV - things not working right

Report bugs and workarounds
mshanley

3005 and 3006 update HYPERV - things not working right

Post by mshanley »

Hi guys,...

I think this is a really great tool but why put it out there if it is still broke?
I started using this a bout 6-8 months ago. The first version was ok at leat everything appeared to work. I think it was 3003?

Please update the version information and script information on the website...
Hyper V version is not VHDX which is the new version on 2012 (its still using the VHD) When i convert it to VHDX it uses a scsi drive and won't boot

Anyway... this is what I see wrong right now and I setup a NEW vm last night just to double check.

GEOIP and Rev Lookup do not appear to be working correctly

In my daily quarantine reports I am seeing down the REASON Collum "UNKNOWN" this used to have SPAM or other explanation not unknown

GEOIP does not appear to be installed, when i went looking for GEOIP folder / files under /USR or any other place i didn't find any...
Today, I am in the Mailwatch , Recent Messages and I clicked on a few and they are completely BLANK
i rebooted and same problem is still there EFA and went and checked the recent messages and they are showing int he list but when clicked on to open they are still blank!

I even pointed the DNS on EFA to my ISP instead of my internal DNS which has forwarders...not really sure what is going on.

I'm not sure where to go from here.. but these are pretty important issues...
Can you please make available the older versions?
darky83
Site Admin

Re: 3005 and 3006 update HYPERV - things not working right

Post by darky83 »

The geoip item seems to be an issue just created an bug for it on the issue list:

- https://github.com/E-F-A/v3/issues/140

The hyper-v version has its issues its clearly noted on the download page, this is a Microsoft issue. (and as we don't have the facilities to create all versions the workaround should do just fine).

On the other hand I would suggest keeping your rants down, it is your own choice to use (or not use) the product, if you find issues/bugs I would suggest that you add them to the issue list on github and help solving them, this product is free of charge and created in the limited spare time of a few individuals, if you don't like it I would suggest paying for any of the commercial appliances out there.

Old versions are not available for download for obvious reasons.
Version eFa 4.x now available!
mshanley

Post by mshanley »

Hi,
not really a rant, just a bad day... i would suggest maybe a beta version so people have a chance to test and give you feedback before they rely on a released version for email..
Can we do that?
In other words.. we would know not to use this in a production environment.. without expecting issues?

Aren't you having same issues as I posted?
DavidRa

Post by DavidRa »

I can confirm I'm running production quality on Hyper-V just fine.

A couple of things:
  • VHD works fine on Server 2012 and 2012 R2, so you could continue with the VHD (though I concur that VHDX is preferred)
  • If you create a new VM for EFA, it must be a Gen1 VM not Gen2
  • You need to attach the VHDX (after conversion) to the first IDE controller port. Gen1 VMs boot only from that port, and not from SCSI.
  • Ideally, you want to set the MAC address to static and re-use the existing MAC from the downloaded VHD, or you get weird networking issues (due to the way the distro manages connections)
  • The 3.0.0.5 and 3.0.0.6 updates applied fine for me - so I can confirm they do work on Hyper-V.
It's been a long time since I built it, but I believe I built from sources and the appropriate OS ISO, rather than downloading the VHD. I'd suggest that's the best approach to take (and I can confirm the actual spec I used if you think it will help).