No longer processing spam

Report bugs and workarounds
jheffez

No longer processing spam

Post by jheffez »

Just noticed that since about a week ago the mail server stopped inspecting for spam. Mail flows to users but without the mailscanner functionality. Looking at mailwatch I do see that since a week ago it no longer registers new mail - either good or otherwise. Everything else looks normal. Mailscanner is running (see below). Restarting the mailscanner service does not present meaningful logs.
Please help.

Code: Select all

[root@mail2 ~]# service mailscanner status
MailScanner is running under process id 20493
Running 3.0.2.6. System was running fine for months.
pdwalker

Re: No longer processing spam

Post by pdwalker »

How do you know mail is flowing in?
jheffez

Post by jheffez »

I know because I get email in my inbox..

No more spam filtering. Everything that's not filtered by postfix filters goes through. Mailwatch stopped showing new mail. I think it stopped working around the same time I 'yum update' some php related stuff.

Please help
jheffez

Post by jheffez »

Found the reason.
In the file header_check I remarked the hold line. I was not aware that this line is crucial to the whole mailscanner-related functionality.

Recommend adding a warning text in the file next to the above line not to modify/remark it.
pdwalker

Post by pdwalker »

Thanks for posting your solution. That may save someone else in the future.

Just a general bit of advice - when you make any change to your system, document it somewhere in detail.

When you run into trouble, you can walk backwards through your changes and perhaps find the root cause of your problem.

In my experience, most of my problems are caused by changes I've made to the system. In my defence, I do enjoy the mental exercise though.