Running into Kernel Problems with 3.0.2.2 Update on Xen 4

Report bugs and workarounds
efa@umlaufbahn.biz

Running into Kernel Problems with 3.0.2.2 Update on Xen 4

Post by efa@umlaufbahn.biz »

Hello dear eFa'rs

As I just mentioned in my introduction I ran into a Problem to update my eFa VM running as an paravirtualized DomU on a Xen 4 Dom0.

My VM runs on Centos 6 with Kernel 2.6.32-696.1.1.el6.x86_64 and my xen Host runs on Kernel 4.9.25-27.el7.x86_64 on a Centos 7. The update script to 3.0.2.2 shows me that Kernel Message also after rebooting VM and Host to latest Kernel. IMHO, even on Dom0 and DomU I am running now the latest Kernel. Does everybody maybe already has an similiar setup and can explain me if my setup could lead the update script thinking I'm running an old Kernel. Or do I maybe really not running on latest kernel. Does it has something to to with my paravirtualized setup of the VM?

Would be happy for any suggestion how to get further on that problem.

Thank you all & regards

Fix
r31griffo

Re: Running into Kernel Problems with 3.0.2.2 Update on Xen 4

Post by r31griffo »

It's not a fix as such...but I don't suppose you're able to run it as HVM?
efa@umlaufbahn.biz

Re: Running into Kernel Problems with 3.0.2.2 Update on Xen 4

Post by efa@umlaufbahn.biz »

Hello r31griffo

Thanks for your answer and the hint. Cloudmin lets me choose the Kernel I want to boot. So I bootet the VMs Kernel 2.6.32-696.1.1.el6.x86_64 but had still now success. So I found that the update Scripts looks for the kernel version in /boot/grub/menu.lst but somehow I do not have this file. I only got /boot/grub/grub.conf. So when I made an symlink from /boot/grub/grub.conf to /boot/grub/menu.lst the update ran through all fine.

Unfortunately I could not switch back to PV Kernel. Maybe Cloudmin could not change the right Kernel back. I did not yet checked why, but the eFa runs well with pygrub also.

Thank you and all the best

Fix