Greylisting taking 45+ mins

Report bugs and workarounds
cam

Greylisting taking 45+ mins

Post by cam »

Hey guys, just migrated to a Hyper-V instance from VMware and our greylisting seems to be taking much longer for legitimate mail than it used to. Have seen it be from 45 mins - 2 hours even. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance!
shawniverson

Re: Greylisting taking 45+ mins

Post by shawniverson »

The default time is 5 minutes for greylisting itself. Are the email servers taking more time to resend?

Also, if the remote mailservers are on an ip address block instead of a limited set of IPs, this could be a culprit.
darky83
Site Admin

Post by darky83 »

Some senders (Microsoft Office 365 for example) will use a different mail server the second time they send.

Grey listing works in the way that it blocks the first attempt from a single IP and allows the second attempt after 5 minutes.
However some senders use a different server/IP to send from thus the second attempt is blocked also as the eFA system doesn't know that server yet.
And so on, sometimes it can take a while.

However after a while the grey listing DB is populated and most IP's will be known allowing the first connection attempt, so give it some time.

I am thinking about adding a list of known correct senders that should not be greylisted for a future version of eFa.
Version eFa 4.x now available!
cam

Post by cam »

Hey guys, thanks so much for the info.

Darky - we did do your migration steps which should've migrated our greylist DB right? We've been running EFA for years now ever since we came across it looking for an ESVA alternative maybe 3 years ago.

edit - just noticed my join date of 2012. I created this account shortly after our first efa install so it's been over 4 years!