EFA 3.0.0.8 kept mailing recipients of a flagged SPAM mail that came in

Report bugs and workarounds
guyvansanden

EFA 3.0.0.8 kept mailing recipients of a flagged SPAM mail that came in

Post by guyvansanden »

I ran into a very strange problem with EFA 3.0.0.8. There was a legitimate mail sent to a big list of recipients, one of which was behind my EFA server.
EFA identified the mail as spam (though legitimate, it did have many SPAM like characteristics) and placed it in quarantine. So far so good.

Instead of mailing the recipient locally only, EFA mailed ALL recipients in the TO field the quarantine message dozens to a hundred times...

I have no idea why this happened, it has never happened before or on any other message. I would like to find out what went wrong and how I can make sure it doesn't happen again.
Triumf

Re: EFA 3.0.0.8 kept mailing recipients of a flagged SPAM mail that came in

Post by Triumf »

I'm currently having the same problem. How you stopped that?
guyvansanden

Post by guyvansanden »

Triumf wrote:I'm currently having the same problem. How you stopped that?
It stopped by itself but after nealy 100 mails per recipient... Some of which started calling me about that...
Triumf

Post by Triumf »

For me it didn't stop automatically. Around 900 emails throughout the day was sent. Thankfully it couldn't send to external emails.. Managed to stop it form efa menu: 9) Spam Settings -> 2) Spam Settings -> N and then Y . Tried to re-enable sendind of not delivered emails, but got the same behavior again. I haven't touched EFA configuration for a while, su it must be a bug. I hope it's somehow connected with date and I will be able to enable this feature tomorrow. Not the best bug to have.. :)
Last edited by Triumf on 13 Apr 2016 13:15, edited 1 time in total.
guyvansanden

Post by guyvansanden »

Triumf wrote:For me it didn't stop automatically. Around 900 emails throughout the day was sent. Thankfully it couldn't send to external emails.. Managed to stop it form efa menu: 9) Spam Settings -> 2) Spam Settings -> N and then Y . Tried to re-enable sendind of not delivered emails, but got the same behavior again. I haven't touched it for a while. Hopefully it's somehow connected with date and I will be able to enable this feature tomorrow. Not the best bug to have.. :)
It was quite embarrassing...
Triumf

Post by Triumf »

guyvansanden wrote:There was a legitimate mail sent to a big list of recipients, one of which was behind my EFA server.
EFA identified the mail as spam (though legitimate, it did have many SPAM like characteristics) and placed it in quarantine. So far so good.

Instead of mailing the recipient locally only, EFA mailed ALL recipients in the TO field the quarantine message dozens to a hundred times...
Ok, so the same situation - found the initial email, which was recognized as spam. It has a long list of different recipients and two of them were from my company. I manually released email and deleted it from EFA. Now the problem seems solved.
guyvansanden

Post by guyvansanden »

My fear is that it may happen again on another mail, there must be a bug in the EFA stack allowing this to happen...
shawniverson

Post by shawniverson »

Based on this thread, it sounds like MailScanner {spam not delivered} emails, is this correct?

Do these spam not delivered emails have a release link on the bottom that may have been clicked?
Triumf

Post by Triumf »

Yes it's about MailScanner {spam not delivered} emails. The thing is that those emails were also recognized as spam and looped itself to report a report:

Received by: efaserver.domain.com
Received from: 127.0.0.1
Received Via: 127.0.0.1
Subject: {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {Spam not delivered} {S
pam not delivered}...

Spamassassin Score: 5.78
Spam Report:
Score Matching Rule Description
1.40 MISSING_DATE Missing Date: header
0.14 MISSING_MID Missing Message-Id: header
1.77 MISSING_SUBJECT Missing Subject: header
-0.00 NO_RELAYS Informational: message was not relayed via SMTP
2.47 SORTED_RECIPS Recipient list is sorted by address
0.00 URIBL_BLOCKED ADMINISTRATOR NOTICE: The query to URIBL was blocked. See http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/Dns ... nsbl-block for more information.