Max Message Size

Questions and answers about how to do stuff
DocSmoke

Max Message Size

Post by DocSmoke »

Just set up EFA fresh and went through the config (instead of migrating ESVA). But I'm getting messages kicked back for size restrictions. At first, I thought it might have been Exchange kicking it back, but the NDRs say specifically it's EFA (by name and IP). I understand the default max size setting for EFA is 50MB, but I haven't found anything relating to that number. I've checked MailScanner.conf and postfix.cf for the maximum message size variables. Non attachment messages get through just fine (I've tested with a 4MB attachment as well without issue). When testing with an 8MB PDF from my GMail account and it complains:

The error that the other server returned was:
552 5.3.4 Error: message file too big

The mail log shows it queued the message for delivery, too.

I'm wondering if I might be missing a configuration point for message size. Any ideas?
darky83
Site Admin

Re: Max Message Size

Post by darky83 »

Actually the max message size is 10MB in postfix

Code: Select all

# sudo postconf  | grep message_size
message_size_limit = 10240000
If you do not get mails below the 10MB then your end point is not accepting the message size (so your exchange server).
This might be a bit confusing but EFA accept the mail and then forwards the mail to your exchange server, if the exchange server does not accept the message then EFA is the one sending the mail that the message size is to big.

if you want to change the size on E.F.A. you can do so with the following (logged in with ssh and a shell):

For 20MB do:

Code: Select all

sudo postconf -e message_size_limit=20480000
sudo /etc/init.d/postfix restart
Version eFa 4.x now available!
DocSmoke

Post by DocSmoke »

Thanks, darky83. I was sure I had read somewhere the limit was 50MB! I've made the changes as you suggested and I don't get an NDR back today, but the message doesn't show. I'll check Exchange further. You can never trust it!

Thanks again,

- Mike

*** EDIT: As expected, it turned out to be Exchange. Though for the life of me I don't know how it changed! :oops:
pdwalker

Post by pdwalker »

Also consider using the webadmin module under
- servers
- Postfix Mail Server
- General Resource Control
- Max size of a message